Foamcore Boards

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 3:52am by Joanie4464

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 13

Where do you purchase the thick foam core boards?
Do they come already round or do you have to cut them yourself?
How thick are they?

I have purchased some foam poster boards in the poster board section at Wal-Mart, but they have not been as thick as the ones that I see in all of your pictures here.

Thanks!

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 13

Some of the boards you see are 'cake drums'. You can purchase them online. they are very sturdy.

The foam core is available at most craft stores and comes in large sheets, not rounds. They have to be cut. You can certainly double them, then cover, for a thicker base.

tichay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tichay Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 13

I buy foam boards (1/2" thick) from Hobby Lobby .. either with the 40% weekly coupon or watch for them to be on sale 50% off.

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 13

I have cake dummies, but do you use these for cake boards also?

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 13

I just ordered some 1/2" thick foamcore boards from here: http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/sturdyboard.htm. This place was recommended by Sugarshack herself (she gets hers from here as well). HTH!

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 13

What do you all use to cut your foam core boards?

Bev

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:33am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4laynes

Bev

With a SHARP xacto knife. I have to run my knife over it a few times to cut through all the way....you don't want to force it.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4laynes

Bev

With a SHARP xacto knife. I have to run my knife over it a few times to cut through all the way....you don't want to force it.

They are available in 1/2" thick sheets, like poster board, at both Michaels and A.C. Moore. I'd been using an exacto knife just as suggested above. Make thin cuts, scoring the paper first then deeper till you go through. I put it on a BIG poly cutting board.

However, there was a recent thread on foam core boards, and several people mentioned a "hot" knife. It's a wood burning tool with interchangeable attachments - one is an exacto-type knife that heats up. They said it went through like buttah. icon_rolleyes.gif I used a 40% coupon to get one but haven't had a chance to try it yet...it's still in the package. CC recommenders raved on how easily it went through.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #9 of 13

Oooo...yes! Definitely get a hot knife! I love mine! I got it from Micheal's with my 40% off coupon...and that thing makes cutting foam core and cake circles a breeze! Highly recommended thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #10 of 13

I just ordered 20, 1/2 inch, 20x30 foamcore (sturdyboard) boards from artsupply.com and with shipping they ran about $3.55 each. That's the best price anywhere. Michael's is $6.99/sheet and Hobby Lobby is too far away for me to justify the gas.

I get my thinner foamcore when it's on sale for $1/sheet at Michael's, but the thick stuff is never on sale there. I love to use the thick stuff for decorative cake boards that I don't need to be returned.

Rae

music121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
music121 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 13

I am fairly new to cake decorating and am currently taking the wilton course 3. I have bought a piece of 1/2" piece of foam board for my cakes. Could it be totally tacky or inappropriate to use a square cake board under my round cake? I just figured it would be easier to cut a square than a circle with the exacto knife.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by music121

I am fairly new to cake decorating and am currently taking the wilton course 3. I have bought a piece of 1/2" piece of foam board for my cakes. Could it be totally tacky or inappropriate to use a square cake board under my round cake? I just figured it would be easier to cut a square than a circle with the exacto knife.

I don't think it's tacky to put a round cake on a square board. It really just depends on the look you are going for.

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:52am
post #13 of 13

Hi,
I use the foam core board all the time and I too cut mine with the hot knife........love it! Well worth the $. I also cover the thicker boards with clear contact paper and write on them with a marker "please return to......." I always have them covered well with foil or whatever and wipe them down before reuse, cannot get them wet though. They will be suitable for a few uses depending on moisture and such. Good luck!
Joanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%