Wedding Cake Construction- Board Question

Decorating By kidscakelady Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm by lillicakes

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 9

Okay so I am starting to panic a little- doing my first wedding cake this Saturday- I'm in good shape- layers 16,12,8 are all in the freezer- icing is made- flowers done- as far as that all goes.

My question is... since I will be stacking them- no separations- how many cake boards should I use underneath the 12" and 8" layers- I have my supports (the 3/8" plastic dowels) and plan to only put the 16 and 12 together for transport (and will run a dowel throught he middle to prevent shifting) and will put the 8 and topper on once I'm there-

I know that I can do this but am absolutely a nervous wreck about this thing. I don't want to have any of the horror stories/disasters that I read about here on a daily basis.

Oh, and once I am there at the site should I remove the dowel or leave it and add another dowel through the top layer into the 12"?

Oh so many questions and doubts... YIKES!

Please help.....

MN

8 replies
kidscakelady Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 9

PLEASE.... Not tyring to be impatient but can anyone help? I'm trying to get everything prepped today so that I can start decorating tomorrow.

Thanks so much!!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 9

First calm down. I know you are nervous, but it is a very simple process.

Every layer should be on a corrugated round the same size as the cake with the exception of the bottom tier which technically should be on a drum 4" bigger than the cake sitting on it.

The easiest thing to do (after adding your dowels) is take the pan the same size as the tier you are about to stack and place it on top of the bottom tier. Center it perfectly and mark with a toothpick. Place the cake on the corrugated round on top and line up with your marks. Continue until complete!
Hope that helps!

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 9

I only put 1 board under each cake. I do make sure all my boards are wrapped top and bottom with foil so no moisture soaks through. My bottom board is usually made of foamcore, making it much stronger to support the overall weight of the entire cake. That way I don't have to worry about anything buckling. If you are going to dowel the bottom two tiers to transport, I would leave the dowel in it once it's delivered. They can be a bear to get out. Just make sure you tell someone at the reception site that it's there. I would just put enough small dowels in the top, at home, of the 12" cake to support the 8". Then when you get it there, all you have to do is set the 8" on top and put on any final borders, touches, etc. This always works for me. Hope this helps.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 9

I use only one cake board under each of my tiers. On SugarShack's DVD, she used 1/2" (or it was 1" - can't remember) foamcore beneath each of her tiers. You sould be fine using either. Definately use the center dowel for the 16 and 12 stacked tiers since your transporting them together. After you place the top tier on at the event, you won't need another center dowel through the top two, it will be fine... just place on, pipe your border and you're set... just tell the venue they may not move the cake after you place it where it needs to be.

You'll do terrific! Don't be nervous!!

stlouiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlouiscake Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 9

For cakes larger than 10 inches, I cut my own foamcore circles using the cake pan as a tracing guide. They provide more support IMHO.

kidscakelady Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks- Deep breath....I am using a drum underneath the largest tier and know to use the same size corrugated board as other tiers -- just need to know how many boards to use in between the layers. I figured that one would make it a little "flimsy". I do plan to cover them to be sure that moisture doesn't leak through. I will put the dowels in etc. as suggested.

I think I might be overthinking this and have read all of the treads on wedding cakes etc maybe this has actually increased my anxiety level a little- just don;t want any disasters if you know what I mean.

cakesbydesiree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydesiree Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 9

You should be fine. It is scary the first time and the second time. I just did my second wedding cake a couple weeks ago and have my third in Sept. Each are so different that I find myself in the same panic all over again. Make sure you are there in plenty of time to set up and make sure you bring all necessary tools and extra frosting, tips, etc.

One card board should be fine between them. It is a bit flemsy but once it is stacked it will be fine. I find it easier if I have someone help me to stack the bigger cakes. It helps to have it lined up and aliminates my feeling and fear of dropping the cake on top of the other cake and making a big mess.

Good luck! Take a deap breath, you will do just fine.

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 9

I use 2 circles (cardboard) under each layer, and more if I have to to make "even" tiers. With 2 layers, I don't bother covering them. I have used foam core but appreciate the convenience of the pre-cut circles.

With a 16-12-8, I generally assemble it and transport it stacked...with at least one big dowel through the middle. It will be fine, and that 8 inch layer is not going to add much to the transport-risk.

Relax--it will all be fine! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%