Silicone Plastique

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 1:33am by beachcakes

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone used silicone plastique to make veiners for flowers and leaves? I wonder about using my own flowers and leaves from my garden to make veiners at a cheaper cost, but I'm not sure if it works as good as the veiners you buy. Anyone ever tried this? Thanks!

4 replies
bitofsnshn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitofsnshn Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 5

I can't imagine why not. If the leaf or flower has enough texture for the silicone plastique to get the detail.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 5

I think I will try it. I went to Michael's today to see if they had the silicone mold kit, but they didn't. Guess I will have to order it. I've never made a silicone mold before. I was just curious if anyone out there had made their own veiners before. I seem to have this need to try to make things on my own, if possible. It's a bad habit sometime. icon_wink.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 5

I have gotten some of the stuff from Michaels. Tip....let it dry very well. I got impatient once and it distorted the mold so I had to redo it. It should work though.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 5

Check out culinart http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html Dominick has a few products for making molds of different objects. He demonstrated one at the MidAtlantic Cake Show that was painted on - it's used for objects that are more delicate - like leaves and strawberries. I'm not sure which one it was though - I think the yellow one. He's very helpful - might be worth an email.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%