Entering A Cake In The County Fair?

Decorating By skaggs1 Updated 1 Feb 2014 , 6:16am by kyliecake

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 17

I was just wondering if any of you submit your cake's in the county fair?

16 replies
T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 17

Our county fair was only for 4-H, so I couldn't compete in that, but found ou that I could in the state fair, and have entered there. How about you? Did you enter, and how was your experience if you did?

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 17

I only do STATE Fairs... But they are very similar in rules and all that..
I like State better.. it is a lot more challenging since it is a Statewide competition. The sponsored competitions have big prizes. County Fairs don't have that. Go ahead and enter.. it's also a lot of fun. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:45am
post #4 of 17

Hi,
I entered 3 cakes in our county fair this year and was the only one who entered. Bummer! I "won" a first place blue ribbon with all my cakes but since there wasn't any competition it wasn't exactly the win I was hoping for. Sadly, they didn't even have a cake decorating judge, just some random craft lady so that made my "win" even less thrilling. I spent a lot of time on my cakes so I was disappointed that it wasn't a bigger deal.

Keep in mind that at your fair there probably isn't anywhere near the calibur of decorators as a cake show. ( at least here most of them are not) And here everyone gets a ribbon regardless. Our State Fair is run the same way, however there were a lot more entries for that one. And we did have some cake decorators actually judge last year. They don't have any big prizes so it's not about that. You win a ribbon and if you get first place you win a whopping $5. icon_razz.gif For some of the other competitions that are sponsered by food companies, there are money prizes that are very nice.

Still, it's fun to enter and even more fun to be around when people walk by and comment on your work! Go for it!

KimAZ

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:11am
post #5 of 17

My experience was a lot like KimAZ's. I was the ONLY "decorated" cake entry...so I won the 1st place ribbon for that category. There were maybe 5 cake entries in the "taste" category. I got the 2nd place ribbon for that cake. There were small $ awards for the top 3 winners ... so I made back the amount of money I paid to enter. But, I would do it again because it was fun.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:31am
post #6 of 17

I teach cake decorating to a great group of 20 kids in 4-H. They all enter into the local fairs. My grandkids enter too. I my self have never entered...no time. but we have always had great luck. almost always 1st and quite a few Best of Show. There is no money in it but the fun and a chance to show off what you do is priceless. Like KimAZ said...it's fun to hear the comments from the people walking by.

We enter dummy cakes. You get different judges who like different things. We had one judge who thought the star dots were to easy. You tell that to a 8 year old who spent over an hour making those dots as perfect as they could but like I said the look on their faces when they are done......perfect.

prtyinduo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prtyinduo Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 17

I just started decorating cakes this past year thumbs_up.gif and have decided to enter our county fair with 2 cakes. Like others there are no rules (except can be dummies) in the book so I'm just going to wing it.. I did buy dummies so I'm going to use them and I'm having a blast figuring out what I wanted. As the fairs theme this year is "Fun for the whole herd" and as a devoted PIG lover icon_lol.gif and Harley rider icon_wink.gif my theme cake will have pigs on choppers going to the fair. And I am also doing the wedding cake. Our fair does give out small monetary prizes and of course with the price of everything I know I will come out in the red but you know getting experience anyway you can is priceless and worth every penny I spend. See Ya All at the Fair! icon_biggrin.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 17

Actually, I am entering our State Fair for the first time tomorrow. I will be entering two cakes in the "cake decorating," and two cakes in the actually cake competition. I am so nervous, up all last night making myself sick. I guess it would be different if I actually knew what I was getting myself into. I don't remember seeing the cakes in years past, which is odd. I am sure that I looked at them, I would have had too. I just hope that there isn't a bunch of fabulous decorators. I don't want to be laughed at.

I made nine cakes today, for the cake competition on Tuesday. Then I am entering two desserts and cookies. Am I a gluten for punishment?

I look at it as a learning experience. I am not expecting anything out of it. It was fun doing the Styrofoam cakes for the first time, and I will be glad to have them on hand when brides come to look. In fact, I plan on making a few more, just to have around.

Wish me luck. If you don't see me around the next week, it's because I embarrassed myself.

I need to shout out to Sugarshack for giving me encouragement during this process. Thank you.

JennyU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennyU Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #9 of 17

I just found out last year they have an open class. I always thought the county fair was 4-H only. Anyway, our county has a rule that it is for amateurs only, which I am. I am not paid for the cakes I do for family. I had called last year to ask if I could use a Wilton character pan and she said sure but then suggested a styrofoam cake instead. She was so estatic to have a decorated cake, no one ever brings one. So last year was my first, Grand Champ of course and this year the same. I know it's an easy win these times but you never know if the next year someone will enter so you always have to try your best. icon_wink.gif Oh and it's 50 cents to enter and if you win you get $3.00, 2nd is $1.50. icon_lol.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #10 of 17

It has been a long day but...I got a second and third place ribbons for my cake decorating. I was so excited. I went in not expecting to even place.

I was a little disappointed that my wedding cake didn't place higher. It took me two solid weeks to make every pearl, and every rose by hand. There were over three hundred roses. Let's see if I can upload these.

I tried again, it doesn't work. Sorry.

Donnaver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnaver Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 5:39am
post #11 of 17

AI have question. I am new at cake decorating and I am thinking about entering in or county fair. They say all decorations have to be edible, so if you use decorations that are dried out 50%fondant/gumpaste is that considered edible?

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 17

AYes, that would be considered edible. (The rule is probably intended to prevent people using plastic toys, silk flowers, etc.)

Donnaver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnaver Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 17

Okay cool! Now I feel better about entering our county fair. Thank you

as you wish Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 17

AYou're welcome! Good luck with your entry! :)

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 8:39am
post #15 of 17

I am thinking about entering our local show (similar to country fair).  I was thinking about doing a cake along the lines of my pot with spaghetti and meatballs (in my gallery), but am unsure because there is an internal support.  our rules say no inedible things too, but not sure where they stand on copper pipe.  it is judged by Cake Decorators Society.

as you wish Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:44pm
post #16 of 17

AI would think that rules about non-edible things would be to prevent people putting things like toys and silk flowers on their cake for decoration; I wouldn't think that support pieces would be a problem. To be sure, is there someone associated with the contest that you can contact to get clarification on it?

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 6:16am
post #17 of 17

Maybe, i will look into it.  thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%