Catering Advice And Pricing Help Needed, Please!

Business By mjarvis78 Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 7:30am by kimmypooh79

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked to provide some desserts for a college graduation reception. There are going to be about 100 people, and the client wants various dessert bars--brownies, lemon bars, pecan bars, 7-layer bars.

How many items do you think I should have? I believe it is just going to be the bars and beverages. I was thinking maybe 150 bars? I was thinking of baking everything in a mini muffin pan, so that everything is about 2 bites. But maybe that might be too time consuming. So then maybe, I should just make everything in a sheet pan, and cut them into squares--but how big should I cut them into? Is 2x2 too big? I was planning on serving everything on platters--either 16 or 18 inch.

Thanks for any and all advice. I usually just do cupcakes, and I am excited to branch off to something else. Also, if everything goes well, and everyone like what I put out, they would like me to do there winter graduation in Dec, and then the big graduation next May!

5 replies
jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

The rule of thumb is usually 2-3 per person, maybe more if that is all they are eating. I would make them in half sheet pans and cut them no bigger than 2 bites. As far as pricing, you should figure out how much it cost you to make a half sheet of each recipe that you are using and price accordingly.

Commercial half pans (not a cake pan) are not evenly sized so cutting a 2x2 square will be hard to do. I cut mine 1 1/2"x3". Sometimes I cut that in half for a 1 1/2"x1 1/2" bite. You can get about 80 bite size bars to a half sheet.

Hope this gives you an idea of what you need.
Jo

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 6

Hey what a great gig!! I would just do them on the sheet pan and cut them like that. 2 bites is a good idea i think. I would tkae the cost of your supplies to make them, your time costs, and your delivery cost and price them that way!! Good luck!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 6

If this is the only food that's going to be there, I'd do more than 150 pcs. That's 1.5 pcs per person. I'd figure at least 3 or 4. I have a bride who is wanting this exact setup instead of a wedding cake. I told her if she was having this as the only food, I'd figure 5-7 pcs per person, but since she's having appetizers and buffet, we could figure 2-4 per person and save her some money.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #5 of 6

I've done a few of these and the usual for my area is 3-5 pieces each (and that's with food being served. Most people want to try one of everything so If you don't bombard yourself with tons of choices you should be fine.

This is a great opportunity, run with it and have fun.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:30am
post #6 of 6

According to my Betty Crocker Cookbook-Bridal Edition, appetizers are 4-5 per person per hour. But it doesn't specify on sweets. Just in case, I'll post the other things it says.

Appetizers--4 to 5 per person per hour

Beverages--3/4 to 1 cup per person

Fruits/veggies--1/2 to 2/3 cup per person

Meat/poultry/fish--
Boneless--4 to 6 oz., uncooked, per person
Bone in-- 6 to 8 oz, uncooked, person

Pasta/rice/grains--
Main dish--1 cup per person
Side dish--1/2 cup per person

Salad--
Tossed-- 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups per person
Veggie/fruit--1/2 cup per person