Writing On The Side Of A Cake

Decorating By Rochelle1 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm by toodlesjupiter

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 11

I have this cake to do with the words on the side. It looks like it is painted on. What do you think?

I am not any good at painting much less to attempt paint writing. I was thinking of getting someone to cut out the words in a stencil (like when you are doing spray painting) or even doing it myself. What I want to know is how to do it. I only have a Wilton paste colour in turquoise. I am worried the colour will not stay within the line and spread on the fondant when I try to paint using this colour. I also wonder how long will it take to dry so I do not have to worry about it blotching or running.

Here is a picture of the cake.

Any suggestion would be of great help
Thanks
Rochelle
LL

10 replies
alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 11

wow this cake is beautiful! i have never painted before so i can not help but if i had to guess i would say to make the stencil and use a paint brush so that you don't have the worry of the air brush painting out side the lines.

good luck and i cant wait to see the end result!

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 11

I have never done this at all, but after reading so many posts on airbrushing I would think this would work as well

Janice

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 11

Have you thought about using an edible image?

Rochelle1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 11

I have no airburushing equipment. Nor will I be able to afford one before the wedding. Eventually I want to get one however.

Thanks
Rochelle

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 11

Airbrush and a stencil is the way to go. Just be sure to cover other areas with paper towels to catch over spray.

Rochelle1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 11

Very interesting Charisse8355 no I had not but will certainly try it out and compare the results to stencil and let you know.

Anymore suggestion still welcomed
Thanks
Rochelle

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 11

You may want to check out some of these tutorials on stenciling:

http://www.designerstencils.com/videos.shtml

There are other options since you don't have an airbrush. My suggestion would be if doing a fondant cake, use RI; if doing a buttercream cake, use buttercream. The link above has a tutorial on doing sides of cakes. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 11

If you are concerned your writing isnt up to par, find a font you like, print the words out, lay it under wax paper and pipe on that. Lift the paper into place on a halved dummy and let dry. Be sure to make extras in case of breakage!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 11

Have you ever tried Sugar Veil? That is how I would do it. It will be "raised" off the side a little bit, but what you can do it make the Sugar Veil and just use a regular piping bag and tip - print the words out on the computer in the font that you want. Tape the lettering on a table and tape wax paper over that, grease the wax paper and "trace" with the sugar veil. (you can color the sugar veil before piping or paint it after it dries). The beauty of sugar veil is that it doesn't dry really hard like royal icing - its really flexible so after about 15 - 30 minutes you can literally pick up the words and place them on the side of the cake - printing turns out PERFECT every time.

You do not have to get the air pen that they sell with the sugar veil - you can just buy the small bag of mix and regular piping tools.

HTH

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 11

I don't know if this will help as I haven't done it on a cake, but when I stencil on the wall, I use a sponge brush and dab/pounce over the stencil, that way it doesn't bleed under the stencil. You might try it on dummy to see how it works. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%