Is This Too Long?

Baking By Winter1979 Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:23am by mclaren

Winter1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winter1979 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding on Saturday that I am making 270 cupcakes for (yikes - I am a one woman show and a full time SAHM). This is the largest order by far that I have ever had. Anyway...is it okay to bake and fill all cupcakes on Thursday, decorate them on Friday and Saturday. The fillings are cookies n'cream, twinkie and fudge. Cupcake flavors are white, chocolate and strawberry. I hope this is not too long to have them filled as I know no other way to get it done as my DH works a 12 hr shift on Friday and I have no babysitter, so it will just be an extremely late night. Sorry this is so long, just nervous about this one.

7 replies
martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 8

i think it should be ok. just cover them so they don't get hard. good luck

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 8

Can you freeze them? Do your recipes freeze well? I would be nervous too! I hate doing things that far in advance, I'm always afraid that they will get stale. But, I'm in the same boat you are (one woman show, full time SAHM) and we can only do so much with our "time"!

Good luck!!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 8

I had a large order of cupcakes last year they were to be delivered on Friday 4pm and we started on them Wednesday so I don't think you will have a problem. We had no complaints. What I did was since I couldn't fit all in the fridge. I kept it down to 72 in bakery and after finishing a box we wrapped in in saran just to make sure. Worked like a charm.

pat

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 8

I don't think it's too far in advance. Especially since the wedding is on the saturday. I would probably bake and fill on wedn, decorate thurs and friday instead. That way you are not fussing with the cupcakes on the day of the wedding. I don't think they will go stale. I find once cupcakes are filled they stay fresh for sooo long. I've kept some on my counter for a week and they were still very moist and good.
By the way your fillings and flavors sound delicious.Would you mind sharing your recipes?
Suz

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 8

Ooh I'd love to know too if you are in the sharing mood! Does the Twinkie filling *really* taste like a Twinkie?

And I'd love to know how they go as well - still fairly new to cuppies and want all the info I can get icon_smile.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 8

I agree with sweetcravings. Especially if a cupcake is filled, it tends to stay moist for a very long time. I had made a batch of banana cuppies (no filling), and a week later my hubby was still eating them and he said they were just as good as they were the day they were made.
But if you're paranoid, I would just make sure they are covered well. I like leepat's suggestion of covering and wrapping. Sounds like a surefire way to keep everything fresh.
Good luck!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 8

i too, think it is fine to bake on thurs. they won't go stale.

i've baked cupcakes many times & kept them for many days in RT (average temp here is around 90deg), & they were always still good by day 4 or day 5.
by day 5 i usually store them in the fridge (as to why i always have cuppies leftover after many days -- my kids & hubby are not dessert lovers, the most they would eat would be 1 slice of cake, doesn't matter who baked the cake or how delish the cakes are).
usually all my cuppies would be gone by 1 wk, if i don't give out to my neighbors & friends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%