First Time Making Fondant....some Questions?

Decorating By Jewelsx19 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 2:23am by lorijom

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #1 of 2

First off, I am brand new to cake decorating...I have made a couple home cakes with BC icing (also homemade) but I really really like the look of cakes done in fondant. And because of where I am...I can't buy anything but Wilton (which I tasted, and will NOT put on a cake) and Virgin Ice (which I have heard is hard to work with). So I am made a batch of the Michele Fosters Fondant.

So my question is, how do you know you have the right amount of sugar in it? I didn't use all the sugar it called for, because it was pretty firm and I could kneed it with my hands, plus I would rather have to add a little to firm it up then have to soften it.

Second when do I colour the fondant? does it have to be done now or can I wait until I figure out the colours I need and do it then. Also how do I colour it? (I have wilton gel dyes)

And last, how long is this fondant good for now that its made? does it have to be put in the fridge?

Thanks so much...also any tips or anything for a fondant virgin? lol....I know i can't work with it yet, as it has to sit for 24 hours, but what else do I need to know thats not in the instructions?

1 reply
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #2 of 2

I only use Michele's fondant and have made probably 20 batches of it. I add sugar until I can knead the fondant without it sticking too much to my countertop (granite). I find that the humidity does make a difference in how much sugar I need to add.

You can add color after you make the fondant...yes you can use your gel colours.

I never put the fondant in the fridge...just keep it double wrapped in my pantry and it's fine. The longest I have kept it is probably a month and it was fine, all that sugar acts as a preservative.

Make sure that you knead the fondant really well before you roll it out for your cake. Good luck and have fun icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%