How Do I Attach Wire To Small, Thin Flowers?

Decorating By calebsmom45 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm by tonedna

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:03am
post #1 of 5

So I have never made flowers before except little cut-outs, no big deal. I am making a wedding cake and it has alot of hydrangeas. I have posted about it before and fot alot of responses but I am still having a hard time nailing it all down. I have pmed and emailed the original designer and she has not gotten back to me, (which is fine, I know she is probablly busy) so I am winging it. I am trying to make a topper. I think I am going to use a small styrofoam ball and stick the flowers into it with florist wire. but the flowers that I am making are very thin and small so I don't really need to make a huge center to attach the wire. Can I put a small amount of gumpaste on the back of the flower to stick the wire into or attach them with a drop of royal icing? I really am just winging it because I am not sure that this is the way to make the topper, but I think it will work. Also, Can i use wire to stick the flowers into the side of the cake as well? I don't know of another way to put the flowers all around the bottom of each tier. I am going to attach the example picture so that you guys have a clue as to what I am talking about since I have a tendency to ramble on... icon_wink.gif Thanks so much, I hate to ask so many questions over the same cake.

Brandy

4 replies
calebsmom45 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #2 of 5

Ooooooops, forgot to attach picture! Sorry! Here it is........

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1046543.html

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:49am
post #3 of 5

To make hydrangeas, you use very, very fine gauge wire (like a 30 or 33). Make a tiny hook at the top of the wire, dampen the hook with some gum glue or egg white, and stick it into a tiny ball of fondant (about the size of a #4 piping tip hole). Set those aside to dry. After cutting out the flowers, thin the edges of the petals with a ball tool on medium firm foam pad, dampen the dry ball on the wire with gum glue or egg white and slide the petal onto it. Hang upside down by the wire to dry. Once dry, you can dust them if you want, gather into a bundle of 20-30 to make a standard hydrangea ball, and use floral tape to hold the ball together, about 3/4ths the way down the wires.

Single blooms really don't need wires, but to put just a few together, follow the same instructions.

Don't stick the wired bunch directly into the cake. You can put a straw in the cake and insert the bunch stem into it.

HTH
Rae

calebsmom45 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much! I will work on it this weekend,

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 5

Yes.. is doing the center and then after cutting the flowers you hang upside down.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1199704
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%