That's Tall! How Many Layers?

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm by gateaux

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 17

Hey everyone! I hope this post finds you all having a wonderful summer. I have a question about height, my dd's Bday is this Monday. We are having her party Sunday. She has decided she wants THIS haunted house:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=917663

How on earth does one make a cake that tall??? How many layers would you use to make it square? I am looking at needing roughly 30 svgs. I was thinking of making the bottom layer a dummy. Would that work y'all? I am SO excited about this.

Thank you all for your help!

16 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 17

It looks like a three tiered square cake to me, with the roofs added, and such...

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:27am
post #3 of 17

My first thought was a dummy layer too. your dd has cool taste for a bday cake. icon_biggrin.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #4 of 17

Oh dear. lol. Maybe I should clarify. I keep thinking that everyone can read my mind. How would I go about making a "cube" cake like the bottom tier? So it looks likes an actual "house?" I don't want it to appear squished ya know? Proportional! There's the word I was looking for!

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #5 of 17

To me it looks like the bottom tier is actually two tiered with the same sized cakes sitting on top of one another.

rockii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockii Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #6 of 17

i was reading the comments and it seems as if the cake came from an old wilton book. maybe try the wilton site to see what book it was from then put out an a.p.b. for anyone that might have the book and the instructions!

HTH

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #7 of 17

I think if you are going to use the scooby doo cast, or toys you need to have them first and go from there as far as height.

I did a building this weekend. I was not worried about scale and I was doing fondant superhero's. So It was all over the place.

I just think once you have the toys/people then you can figure out the scale. I think styrofoam for sure looks like 6-8 inch for sure for the toys to look to scale the columns are probably wedding cake type.

2nd and 3rd layers are probably 4inchs.

I wonder what WYB this is??

Good Luck.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #8 of 17

I am guessing 10" 3 layers--8" one layer--6" 2 layers
Styrofoam would work for some of the layers if you don't need that much cake- Looks like a fun cake to do!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #9 of 17

Maybe you could contact the person who posted it.

The other thing, is i would do a mock up of it in styrofoam. do this just so i can get the feel for how it will look and work out. But not the cake dummy foam.

That way you will have the sizing correct and you can use them to make a pattern for the cake.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 17

Good points all. I did try looking it up in the WYB. But I couldn't find anything, unless I was looking wrong. I'll try pm'ing the poster and ask. Thanks for all your help!!

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 17

I have a bunch of the WYB, and I remember seeing this in one of them. Of course I don't have them here at work, but when I go home today, I'll see if I can find it... Good luck in the meantime.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 17

What an awesome cake. Don't have any suggestions than already posted, but hope you post your pics. Scooby's my fav. icon_cool.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #13 of 17

To me, it looks like each layer is 8" tall. The top tiers look shorter because of the porch roof hiding the bottom layer of each tier. I would definitely do 3 -2" tall cakes (torted and filled) or just 2-3" cakes (torted and filled).

So probably a dummy cake would work out better for the bottom tier.

Looks like fun!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 17

I just look up the figures I ordered. They won't be here till Friday. It says that each is apprx 5" tall except Scooby of course. Should be funnnnnnnn...I am excited about it.
Oh hey! How would I go about make the roof of the bottom and second tiers?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

Hey everyone! I hope this post finds you all having a wonderful summer. I have a question about height, my dd's Bday is this Monday. We are having her party Sunday. She has decided she wants THIS haunted house:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=917663

How on earth does one make a cake that tall??? How many layers would you use to make it square? I am looking at needing roughly 30 svgs. I was thinking of making the bottom layer a dummy. Would that work y'all? I am SO excited about this.

Thank you all for your help!

It's in the Wilton Yearbook 2005. I have copy but it's in storage.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 17

I've found the cake in the 2005 yearbook. I can scan the instructions if you want. It serves 88 done in all cake!!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #17 of 17

So cool! Glad it coming together.

Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%