What To Charge?

Decorating By yvy_cano Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm by __Martha__

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 7

Im not sure what to price this out at. I made this cake for a friend and someone saw it and wants me to make on for her as well. It is Sugarshack's Buttercream with fondant accents, she wants for 15 ppl the same one, this one was 2 10 inch cakes to make 2 tiers so it was pretty tall. Can someone help me price this out? Im new and have never sold a cake so this would be my first paid cake. Thank you!
LL
LL

6 replies
akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 7

First determine what you charge per serving. Then decide what size cake you will make. A 10inch is way more than 15 servings. I think a two layer 8 in. is 20 party servings. I would charge more for the fondant accents.

I would say in the neighborhood of 45-50 bucks.
That's a cute cake, I like the colors.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 7

Yes.. a 10 inch is 35 servings.. that's way too much for her needs. I'd do it as an 8" cake and price it as 20 servings.. No less than $2.50/serving.. so $50.00 It's really cute.

Personally I'd charge $90 as my BC price is $4.50/serving.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 7

Hey YVY, if you go by the Home and Hobby matrix I made attached, this is a 30 serving cake, based on the Wilton party-serving sizes. If you charged a rate per serving, you will be consistent for future pricing. You may want to find out what a good starting price is per serving for your area and go from there. It can vary a lot. For instance, in you live in San Francisco or NYC, your base price might start at $3.50 per serving for buttercream, where, if you live in a more rural area, it might start at $1.50 per serving. It depends what ingredients cost you and your local area's economy.

The attached matrix will help you figure out what your ingredients will cost you at least. In my area your cake would sell for $75-90 ($2.50-$3.00 per serving). Hope this helps, Lisa

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #5 of 7

Thank you ladies! Loriana love the spreadsheet. I priced her at 75 and didnt get a call back. Before she knew the price it was urgent she needed it asap lol... I guess she got sticker shock. Oh well right? icon_smile.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:24am
post #6 of 7

YYYYuuupp! Always an "oh well!" and glad to see you figured out a good price icon_smile.gif We have to price what we are worth. You are worth alot more than frozen-defrosted-cardboard-walmart-cake. Yay for you!!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 7

Loriana,

That is one incredible matrix. I can tell that a considerable amount of work went into it and I'd like to thank you for sharing it with us.

Martha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%