Burned Out On Cake Decorating?

Business By aimers Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 12:46am by baker4life

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 9

Is anyone else just burned out on cake decorating? My last few cakes have sucked the life out of me and I am seriously considering taking a leave from cakes for an indefinite amount of time. I am not sure if the hot weather and humidity is the cause of this overwhelming feeling or if I am just over it. The heat has been an issue with my MMF and for some reason my last 8 batches have all been way too soft to work with and is making life a little difficult. Am I alone?

I have not posted any pics lately because my laptop crashed and I lost all of my cake photosâ¦

8 replies
yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 9

I am in the same kind of rut-only with cookies....I feel as if it has become this horrible chore...
I am going on vacation for a couple of weeks to try and regroup and see if I feel any better about it.
I loved doing them for my friends and family-I may just go back to that.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 9

maybe you should take a vacation and regroup. It might just be the heat getting to you. If this is something you love to do then you should just step back for a little while. Then jump right back in the kitchen...lol My mmf was doing that and I just put into the fridge for a little bit then I was able to work with it. Hope you don't stop baking, and good luck to you.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:09am
post #4 of 9

Never hurts to take a break with all the trouble you have had lately. If you don't sit back and take it easy, you will begin to hate it. That would be a waste.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #5 of 9

OMG I totally know how you feel! icon_eek.gif I thought I was the only one, when I saw your post I had to jump in even if just to vent. icon_lol.gif I am a full time nurse, a mother, a wife and a home baker. I have only been doing cake for 1 year and 7 months, but with all I have going on in my life I just feel so overwhlemed!!!!!! icon_sad.gif I have considered quiting many times, as much as I LOVE cake decorating. I decided to take July and August off from cake. It really didn't work out this month, cause I made a couple of cakes anyway so I'm hoping August will be the month that I have 0 cakes to do. It is very time consumming and I have absolutely no "me" time. I think that is the root of my fustration. icon_cry.gif So even though I love to decorated I am at a stand still for my own good. hopefully this will help. It's just that I am addicted to cake decorating, and like any addiction it's hard to quit. icon_lol.gif

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #6 of 9

I hear you big time! I was like that a couple weeks ago. I was doing so many cakes that I decided to cut back 2 a weekend is my limit! I work full time and have 2 young children. I got so burnt out! I did take 1 week and decided not to make any cakes. I was going through cake withdrawal the following! Thank god I had a couple to do last weekend. I would say just take a break aweek or 2 if you miss it then you know you want to go back. If not that I guess its meant to be. Good Luck!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:17am
post #7 of 9

Last summer, we were living in an apartment for a couple of months waiting for our house to be finished and I couldn;t do cakes during that time...I couldn't wait, A BREAK from cakes! Man, after just a few days, I was going nuts!!!

I agree, take a break..you will be itching to do it again in a week...!!

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for all the advise, I am glad that I am not the only one that has felt this way. I have a few cakes due soon and a Wedding cake due the 2nd weekend in August and I have vowed to not take on any cakes for the rest of that month and September, and take a mini vacation. Wish me luck, I really hope I miss it. I am fearful that I wont miss it-what a waste would that be icon_sad.gif

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #9 of 9

I am with ya'll too!! Even being on the forums after a while, was draining to me. I don't even do this all the time.
Coming home from work and enjoying the summer weather, the last thing I want to do is be inside making cakes and being on the computer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%