Covering A Cake Board In Fondant

Decorating By chelley325 Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm by adobewife

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 9

I just did my first (for practice) and had some problems:

#1 - The fondant didn't really adhere very well to the sides of the cake board.

#2 - I had lots of finger/smudge marks - much, much more than I have ever experienced covering an actual cake.

The process I used was to roll out a circle of fondant about 2" more in diameter than the cake board. I then lifted and unrolled the fondant over the cake board, smoothed with my hands and then the fondant smoother, smoothed the sides, and then trimmed the excess.

In general it just didn't look all that smooth and I wasn't thrilled with it. Any tips from you gals on how to improve?

(I have attached pictures)
LL
LL

8 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 9

First, I never go past the board when covering with fondant. I go the same size as the board and then use a ribbon of some kind to go around the edges. I too have had a finger mark or two in mine. I think I might have rolled it out too thin... just have to be careful when holding it.....

I know someone has some good tips here for this topic!!!

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 9

Bronwen Weber taught me to mist my board with water just before covering it, not to much just alittle. I mist the top and sides. Once I put the fondant on my board I use my fondant smoother to smooth it out.

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 9

I used to cover the whole board with fondant, and didn't like the thick look of the sides and it is hard to handle without leaving finger dents. You can cover the board with foil first, which gives a more solid surface to stick to, you can use piping gel which is stickier. My favorite way to cover a board, is to cover the top with fondant, smooth, trim and hot glue ribbon to the sides, then to personalize with ric rac, flowers or another coordinating trim. I think that covering the board with fondant is such a great way to make the cake look super special, and another layer to the decorating.

k96002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k96002 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 9

I actually covered my board with a 'lite' layer of buttercreme...just enough to 'glue' the fondant to the board...and it worked perfectly! I agree with only going to the edges though...as I did one over the edges...and as it dries it will crack and break when you carry the board. I think the buttercreme underneath with help with the finger marks also....

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 9

use a fondant smoother or a large rolling pin to smooth out the top. You don't need to cover the edge unless you are going for a special effect. Just cover your board, smooth it with the rolling pin or fondant smoother and using a sharp knife trim the excess off the top edge of the board.

I usually mist my boards with water. This sticks the fondant to the board just fine.

You can also use an embossing roller to press a pretty pattern into the top of the board and that will also cover any imperfections.

If you get a bubble, use a pin to make a small hole then using a fondant smoother in each hand on either side of the bubble bring both hands together gently pressing lightly on the fondant surface. This should get rid of your bubble.

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all of the tips! I do think I may have rolled it too thin, and i could definitely see how a layer of buttercream would work wonders here. And I love the idea of only doing the top and then a ribbon around the edge. Does anyone have a picture of that?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 9

This is one thing that I learned over the ICES weekend. Norm Davis does this and in my class on how to cover large and square cakes, Minette mentioned this:

When you roll out your fondant, roll out enough to include the board as well. Not the entire board, just the 2 inches or so that will show. Fondant is too expensive to waste, so skip on covering the entire board.

When they covered the cake, they smoothed it out and then made sure the board part was misted or had a little BC on it and smoothed it onto the board also. Then just trimmed away at the edge of the board. They did not fold the fondant down around the edges....just put a ribbon on. It's funny because Norm does not cut around he edge of the cake but Minette does. He likes the seamless look and she says it's easier for people to cut if there is a seam.

I hope that makes some sense.

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9

I use ribbon a lot, you can see a few in my photo gallery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%