Treasure Chest Cake Help!

Decorating By lv2bake Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm by jen1977

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked to make this pirate treasure chest cake but I have never made one before, I am not charging her because it is my first one but does anyone have any instructions on how to make one? HELP! Enclosed is a picture I am not too sure how to make the top. Thank you for your help
LL

4 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 5

I recently made my 1st treasure chest cake and I used rice krispie treats for the top.
I carved the top and put it on its own cake board (measured to be the same size as the bottom). Iced it ib bc and covered with fondant.
The chest was cake, stacked and cut to size.
Really cute cake, good luck!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 5

I would use a bread loaf pan for the chest and two 8" rounds cut in half and turned so the round part is up. Frost inbetween the circles to keep together and then all around the outside. Then cover it in fondant. The chest is basic stacked construction. Either bake them half the size so that you can do four torted layers or torte them by hand. Then add the candy and "jewels" to the top. I would also add a couple of skewes to hold it into place and maybe one down the center into the actual board. I would also skewer the top also.
Hope that helps.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 5

Ok i've not made one before but this is my best guess on how i would approach it...the lid that is..you could either just carve the cake in the shape of the lid freehanded and then cover with fondant or buttercream OR you could bake up lets say two 9" round cakes, cut them down the middle to make a total of four peices and stack them on their sides, cut side down. That would give you a clean domed shape tthen cover as desired. BUT>> if you don't want that much cake you could always do that llid out of foam and cover. HTH

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 5

My son wants a treasure chest for his party next week, and it will be my first. Now, he saw this pic, and wants the pirate sitting on it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%