Chunky Monkeys

Lounge By Mencked Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 10:28am by minicuppie

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:26am
post #181 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliwis000

I am 22 and live in Texas. I have played the yo-yo diet game a long time. for the last 4 years I have lost weight over the summer just to gain it back in the winter and spring. Last summer I lost 20lbs, and gained it back. This summer I have started again but it is just not coming off. I have lost 3 lbs in a month and a half, this is with diet (1000 cal. a day) and walking 5 miles a day (only missed one day so far). Its discouraging to work hard and get no where but I agree with the idea that support helps. My boyfriend tells me he is really proud of me, though he will love me no matter what size.

Its great to know I am not the only person out there dealing with this, and I wish us all the best in this!

Alicia

I haven't read through the entire 12 pages, but in case no-one else has told you - you are not losing weight because you are not eating ENOUGH! No-one should try to exist on less than 1200 kcals a day, that's baseline starvation. Combined with the exercise you are doing, your body is holding on to every calorie you put in it just to survive. Up your intake to a minimum of 1200, and I bet you'll see the weight start to shift! Good luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:23pm
post #182 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliwis000

I am 22 and live in Texas. I have played the yo-yo diet game a long time. for the last 4 years I have lost weight over the summer just to gain it back in the winter and spring. Last summer I lost 20lbs, and gained it back. This summer I have started again but it is just not coming off. I have lost 3 lbs in a month and a half, this is with diet (1000 cal. a day) and walking 5 miles a day (only missed one day so far). Its discouraging to work hard and get no where but I agree with the idea that support helps. My boyfriend tells me he is really proud of me, though he will love me no matter what size.

Its great to know I am not the only person out there dealing with this, and I wish us all the best in this!

Alicia

I haven't read through the entire 12 pages, but in case no-one else has told you - you are not losing weight because you are not eating ENOUGH! No-one should try to exist on less than 1200 kcals a day, that's baseline starvation. Combined with the exercise you are doing, your body is holding on to every calorie you put in it just to survive. Up your intake to a minimum of 1200, and I bet you'll see the weight start to shift! Good luck!

Yep, said pretty much the same thing as you did. She hasn't posted again since that post as far as I can tell so I don't know if she saw it or not. icon_sad.gif

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #183 of 430

Hey Y'all!!!

Deb~ I'm SO excited for you and your weight loss! I also have plantar fasciaitis (sp?) It doesn't matter about the weight it just happens sometimes. I first noticed it a few months into my deployment. It gets better sometimes and sometimes it's MUCH MUCH worse than when it first happened. The Dr's that I work with suggest wearing a clean pair of tennis shoes to bed to help keep your feet flat. We hear back that it helps a lot. (my husband would kill me if I did it though so I cannot speak from personal experience) Another thing is to freeze a bottle of water and roll it under your feet a few times to help with the pain/inflamation. (be sure to keep your socks on though! icon_biggrin.gif)

BJB & TS~ I'm pretty sure that was her first and only post as well. Definitely not a healthy way to lose weight at all.

Tomorrow we're playing volleyball for PT. I'm TERRIBLE but we have a good time icon_smile.gif Hope you all are having good days whereever you are!!

GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #184 of 430

Krys--I love volleyball. I played in high school and then in rec. leagues in college (very amateur but very fun!) and even when I was married with small kids I played in co-ed leagues at the Y.....Deb- I too had plantar fasciatis and just ended up wearing shoes all of the time (while I was awake)--and I love to go barefoot, but I also found that pulling my toes towards the front of my calf before I got out of bed really helped because that first step in the morning was such a killer! I don't have it anymore (knock on wood), but I do wear shoes or flip flops all of the time.
Last night I did my walking to one of Sugarshack's DVDs-The Art of BC I think--I was so engrossed in the DVD that I almost forgot I was walking and learned so much!! Kind of ironic I thought--walking to lose weight while watching how to smooth scrumptious icing! However, after I walked I made several batches of icing (lots of cakes this weekend) and I wasn't tempted to eat any, although old habits kept rearing their ugly head like licking that last scrap of frosting off of the spatula before I throw it in the sink or dishwasher--all those little licks add up to mega calories!!
Hope all's well with everyone else! GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!

TexasSugar Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #185 of 430

When I'm on the treadmill I have my mp3 player with headphones on. I just jam along while I walk. Unfortunetly the treadmill is in a room with no tv. icon_sad.gif I also find myself walking alot with my eyes closed. I guess I get tired of seeing myself reflected back in the windows that the treadmill is facing. I also cover up the display screen on it because to me not watching the numbers tick by makes it go faster.

Last night/this morning was the first cake I have made since I started walking. I found myself nibbling a little but once I did it I was more aware of what I was doing and didn't have as much of a problem as I thought I would. I did have to sample the icing cause I was making chocolate buttercream. I had to make it lighter than I normally do, but I wanted to make sure the chocolate taste was there. I didn't lick the spoon from the dulce de leche filling I used in it. So that is a plus.

Right now I'm waiting for my friend to come pick up her daughter so I can dress my cake and have it ready by the 7 o'clock pick up. After that I have to walk, and figure out what I am eating tonight. Once the cake is done I have a pretty relaxing weekend ahead of me. Woo Hoo. Just gotta remember to eat okay since I will be out of my weekly routine. I have trouble eating breakfast on mornings I sleep in.

Hope everyone has a great evening!!

krystyne_wilson Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #186 of 430

Hey Ya'll!!!

So yesterday I did 30min on the elliptical, a magazine workout then 15min on the bike... I was wore out but I LOVE THE GYM icon_wink.gif

TS~I close my eyes ALL the time when I'm on the bike. I focus on the music from my iPod and just go somewhere else. I actually peddle faster that way! I'd rather listen to music than watch TV, especially something with a fast beat. It makes me move harder/faster. But that's just me...

Diane~I'm terrible at volleyball but I'm getting better. We only won 1 game out of 4 but it was fun. Are those DVD's any good? I'd love to get some but which ones are best?

KUDOS to TS and Diane for not pigging out on the icing!!! icon_biggrin.gif Way to go! That's my hardest part when I make icing too. I can't wait to get home and make some cakes though!!! I've been eating a lot of ice cream though so I need to watch it. Keep up the good work ladies!!!

GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

TexasSugar Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #187 of 430

I have got to start looking for a new cd or something to listen to when I walk. What I have on my MP3 player just isn't doing it any more. Sigh.

Today makes the start of a new walking week for me. I have walked 4 weeks straight now. Well 29 days since I have already done todays. HeHe. There have been days where I didn't want to get on the treadmill but I'm to the point now that I think. Man I've walked XX days straight, I can't not do it today.

Tomorrow is weigh in morning for me, and not really the best week for me. Aunt Flo should be making an appearance any minute now, so I'm preparing myself not to see a big change or any change on the scale. I'll know if there isn't, it isn't because I am not trying it's just cause my body wants to work against me for a week.

I decided it was time to kick it up some. I'm debating walking another mile before the night is over, upping my miles from 2 to 3. We shall see what happens there.

I did add in some Strenght Training (thanks Krystyne). I may not be able to lift the baby I watch tomorrow, but I attempted them. I walked a mile, did the exercises then walked the 2nd mile.

I did two sets of 12 (12ish anyway, kept losing count) of each of the follow from the link Krystyne posted earlier:
Side Shoulder Raise
Front Shoulder Raise
Upright Row
Biceps Curl
Dumbbell Tricep Curl (I used one weight here cause I wasn't sure I was keeping my hands right doing each arm seperately.)
Dumbbell Press

I also did (from a sheet that came with our treadmill):
Shoulder Press
Tricep Extensions
Dumbbell Row

Now I'm tired. HeHe. And crampy, so at this point I'm thinking the 3rd mile is not happening today. And since I did do the other, I think it will be okay just doing two miles.

I guess I need to be on the search now for some other exercises for the tummy and lower body areas that I can do on alternating days. Other wise on nights I don't do the other I'll up the miles some. Just feel it is time for me to do a little more push a little harder.

Hope everyone had a good, busy, and healthy weekend!

Last night I hung out with my nephew, my friend and her two kids. Did play a little Wii, and had some pizza. icon_redface.gif We did get cheese only, and I only ate two pieces of pizza and a couple of bread sticks, so I know I did pretty good. I so have eaten more than that in the past at times. I also planned my earlier eating with the idea of pizza in mind, so it was definetly my biggest calories meal all day.

Today was a relaxing day. Got to sleep in, then made breakfast for me and my nephew. Had cream cheese stuffed french toast. Probably not the healthiest breakfast, but I did use fat free cream cheese, added in some raisins for the good for ya stuff and I use apple sauce instead of syrup. I also made some blueberry muffins today since I had some sour cream I wanted to use up. I had one mini muffin. The other mini muffins went to my parents house. Of the big muffins, my nephew got to take 4 home since he helped and the other ones will get to my dad's office in the morning. I may snag one of them for breakfast, but the rest will all soon be out of my house. thumbs_up.gif

I think I'm ready for the new week. Maybe, hopefully. I will have class 3 nights this month, maybe 4 (will know that one by Wed night) so it will be one of those longer busy weeks. The classes so far are Mon, Tues and Wed night. Plus the baby each of those days. Makes for long, long days!

Good luck on the new week everyone! We can do it!

Mencked Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #188 of 430

Great job TS! I had a mini happy moment yesterday. I took my daughter to see the traveling broadway production of Mama Mia and my rear end fit into the seat a bit easier than the last time I was there--This will be a great way to check progress because I have season tickets and will be going to the OKC Civic Center and sitting in the same seat about once every month or two for the next year. Just thought I'd share icon_smile.gif. Happy Monday Chunky Monkeys! DM

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:21am
post #189 of 430

Not much to report here. The good news is I've lost enough weight that mother nature is visiting more frequently. This is definately hopeful news for the family front. However, I still have to avoid pregnancy for another 13 months. The surgeon recommends avoiding pregnancy for 18 months post op. The bad part about mother nature is the cravings. I felt like I couldn't find the right thing to eat for the past 3 days. The best news however is the scale is still showing a number under 300. So all in all I think all is moving in the right direction.

I'm a little bit annoyed with one of my classes at school. Physics. I've missed a couple of days and feel way behind and it's only the third week of class. Sucks to be lazy!

My decoration classes this month are light also. So far only 1 4 week course has enough students. The other 4 week classes were cancelled. I have a couple of project classes left on the schedule. Hopefully some students sign up.

I'm heading to Dallas this week for training seminar. I had to go buy some "career" clothes. Hopefully I can get set up to sub teach at the elementary school too, then I won't feel like I wasted money on business attire.

Love you monkeys, keep up the great work.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm
post #190 of 430

Mencked, Woo Hoo Congrats! Another thing I would suggest is if you haven't already (and this is really for everyone) take some pictures. Use it is a pictorial chart.

When I first started losing weight I had trouble seeing it at first. I knew I lost weight because the numbers on the scale were smaller and I had to get new pants cause the others were falling off, but when I looked in the mirror I just didn't see it. A friend of mine online shoved my pictures in my face. A recent picture verse old ones. And he told me to look at them side by side and see what I noticed. It is amazing what you see when you have them to compare to each other.

EnjoyTheCake, I soooo feel you on the period part. Nothing has sounded good the last two days for me either.

I did my weigh in yesterday and I'm up a pound. I was so BUMMED. I know it's because I started my period first yesterday morning as well. I was expecting not to lose anything, but to have gained, UGH! Hopefully next weeks lose is doubled, if not I'll have to figure out what happened last week.

I also tried doing some crunches yesterday. I did two sets of two different kinds. I should have done the other one I had found directions for and maybe another set of all of them, but at the time I was cramping and that was so not motivating. I did add in another mile last night so I walked 3 miles and according to the treadmill I burned over 400 calories.

I had planned to do some leg exercises today, but I'm not sure that is going to happen. The little one I watch is sick today and is very clingy. I'm surprised she didn't wake up when I left her on the couch. I'd love to go do some walking, but I know as soon as I get on it she will wake up. It's just one of those days. I have class tonight so unless baby gets picked up in the next two hours I'll have to wait until afterward to walk.

I had 4 in my Course 1 last night. Two kids, one a 6 year old taking it with her mommy. The other is a 10 year old that grandma is bring and sitting in with but not taking it herself. Since it's a small class I'm not making a big deal about it.

Tonight is Course 3 and will have 2. They are friends so the night will be fun. And tomorrow is Course 2 with two again, I'm not gonna guess how that one is going to go. I do have F/GP scheduled for Thurs, but no one has signed up for it, and I really hope they don't.

I really want to add more work out type stuff in addition to my walking. I'm just going to have to figure out when to do it. When I have baby on class days it makes it hard to get much of anything else done. Maybe I will get to bed at a better time so I can get up before baby and do some of it, I'm so not a morning person though. I may just have to try it before bedtime. UGH!! I know I know I just have to make the time and stick to it. I'm gonna give myself more than a few days to find the best routine for me, and hopefully get started and stick to it.

I also need to do a little more research to make sure I'm covering all my bases. I want a balanced work out but don't want to go to the gym yet. I don't know when I would find time to, I don't have the momey for a membership, and I'd rather keep my exercising away from other's eyes right now.

Hope everyone's weigh ins this week go/went better than mine. HUGS!

krystyne_wilson Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:56pm
post #191 of 430

Hey ya'll Monkeys!!!

Monday I weighed in at 147.0, down from last Monday's 148.6!!! icon_smile.gif That was encouraging since I was still eating ice cream a little more often than I should've been but I had also been back to the gym more...so I guess it balanced out.

Today we (my team) took a practice PT test to see where we are before next month's record. You have to see how many pushups you can do in 2minutes, then how many situps then see how fast you can run 2miles. I did 34 pushups (1 less than before leave), 61 situps (4 less than before leave) both of those decrease in scores had me kinda sad but I said "Let's see how this run goes!" And I came in at 17:45...my 2nd fastest time EVER!!! (17:43 in basic training was my best) So that TOTALLY made up for it! BUT my goal is to be able to get a minimum of 90pts in each event. I was only 5 situps away, 12 pushups away and then I need to run about 1:30 faster to get 90pts in each event.

Diane~That's awesome about the chair!!! WOO HOO!!! We have to celebrate the mini-victories in life icon_smile.gif

Deb~WAY TO STAY UNDER 300!!! icon_biggrin.gif That's exciting about things returning to normal and starting to think about expanding your family in the future. Good luck at the training seminar. I hope you get a job that you like! If you're having trouble in class see if some other students or the teacher can help you catch up.

TS~I'm glad that the exercises I posted before are working for you. I went seraching online just now and found another website for everyone:

http://www.e-weightloss-fitness.com/

It looks sorta cheapy but it has a LOT of exercises for both home and gym workouts with pictures!!! I need to check out the abs and upper body stuff to help me with my PT test.
Also TS way to go with the exercise! Once you've been doing it for so long it's easier to keep doing it. KEEP IT UP!!! icon_smile.gif And you should DEFINITELY get some more music. I have a BUNCH of songs, all kinds of music, on my ipod and I just shuffle it so that I get a different mix everytime to keep me guessing. When I had a smaller mp3 player with one or two cd's on it the monotony of it got to me after a while.

Well ladies, sound like everyone is doing well. KEEP IT UP!!! We're DOING this!!! Way to go!!!

GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #192 of 430

Congrats on that 1.6 lbs! I'm glad someone lost last week.

I seriously doubt, actually I know, I could even do 34 push ups, let alone in under a min time. So I'm completely impressed. icon_smile.gif

My MP3 player actually has over 500 songs on it, so I really shouldn't be bored with it. Its just that I seem to listen to the same stuff over and over. I did put it on random last night, so that did help cause it wasn't just the same songs in the same order.

I didn't get to any of the leg exercises yesterday. But I did walk another 3 miles. Makes a total of 8 for the week so far and I haven't walked today yet. According to the treadmill I've burned 1097 calories so far this week.

Happy Wednesday everyone! I'm glad this week is half over. It has already been an long one for me.

krystyne_wilson Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #193 of 430

Hey ya'll...where ya at?!?! LoL

Things are good over here. The layout went well. We've had some classes in the AM and I've missed a few workouts but overall things are well.

TS~Shuffle is AWESOME becuase you never know what you're gonna hear! I hope that helps to get you a little out of the slumps...I bet your hardwork will show on your next weigh in!

Mencked Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #194 of 430

Whew, I'm finally done with cakes for tomorrow--almost--I don't think I've ever had 4 due on a Sunday?! I'm sitting here munching carrots, getting ready to watch Nebraska's college football second half. My husband's been shouting updates from the living room while I decorate! I should walk while I watch-- we'll see--this has been a tough week to fit in exercise...lots going on and lots of cakes....Go Chunky Monkeys!!! I haven't been on much, but I think of you all a lot!

TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #195 of 430

Here I am! icon_smile.gif

I just finished out week 5 of walking with a total of 20 miles of the week. 76 for the last 5 weeks. When I walked several years ago my family use to joke about where I was heading and how far to Dallas I had gone. It's interesting when you plug those miles into a map and see how 'far' you have actually gone.

I really need to get on the ball with the work out stuff so I can work that into my daily stuff and start burning even more calories.

Krystyne, I'm so ready to step on the scale Monday morning. I'm sure I will see a change this time. Even if it is just a number minus the water weight from my period. icon_smile.gif

Mencked, that's alot of cakes! Hope you enjoy the football game!

TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:15am
post #196 of 430

So I'm probably the Queen of long winded posts in this thread. I can't help it. Anytime I sit down to write something it always just keeps going and going and going. I'm sorry. icon_lol.gif

Because of some comments people had made to me I sat down yesterday to write out a blog post for my MySpace page. I just needed to get some things out of my head and on to 'paper'. Like everything I write it just kept growing. It ended up being 10 pages total in MS Word and I'm not sure I was even done saying what all I had to say. I've gone back and broken it up into smaller parts that I will post in my blog seperately.

Because it does deal with the issue of weight loss, I figured I would also share it with my Chunky Monkeys Sisters. This is only 3.5 of the 10 pages but it is still a very long post, so feel free to skip it if you want, but here goes...

When you hear certain comments by different people you get to where you need to say how you feel âout loudâ. Thatâs all this blog is for me. It isnât directed at any one person that may have made one of the comments that have lead to my needing to say what I need to say, if even for myself. Iâve done a post similar to this in the past as well, so I guess it is just something one deals with when they are going through changing parts of their life.

So what is this blog about?

My losing weight.

The number one reason I am losing weight is for myself. I want to be healthier and to feel better about myself.

Iâm glad there are people out there that find me pretty and beautiful as I am now. Iâm glad there are people that like me for who I am and not just what I look like. Itâs nice that people out there donât see me as being as big as I feel.

But as I stated above, Iâm not doing this for them. I am doing this for me. When you just look at health reasons alone you have to wonder how any one could not want to do what it takes to lose weight and live a healthier, and hopefully, longer life.

I have two grandparents that have/had diabetes.

Iâve had two grandparents die from/with cancers as well as other family that is dealing with it or pre-cancerous places.

Both of my parents have had heart problems. My dad had a triple bi pass surgery done at age 40. A couple of years ago my mom had stints put in her legs because of blockages. I also had a grandmother that had a lot of heart problems/issues. Add to those family issues with high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Losing weight does not mean with out a doubt that I wonât have problems with any of those things. But isnât it worth a try? Especially when there are things out there you can do that have been shown to help avoid them?

Plus if I am realistic with myself, doing nothing to change my weight now is not a smart option. I can look back from middle school to high school and the years after. I have not stayed the same weight but have slowly, steadily gained. If I do not make changes now to lose weight I will only just keep gaining. I have proof of this by keeping weight off for two years, then slowly starting to gain it back in a short period of time.

Which just opens me up for more health problems, besides just diabetes and heart issues. There are knee, back and joint issues from carrying around all the weight around. There could also be issues when Iâm ready to get pregnant, problems not being able to get pregnant or even health risks while carrying the baby. Plus you have the opposite of that coin, Iâve read that being over weight/obese can cause problems with the effectiveness of birth control pills.

So when you just stop and look at the health benefits for losing the extra weight that is a great reason alone to do it, donât you think?

Iâm also doing this so I can feel better about myself. Do you know what it feels like to not want to look in the mirror any more because when you do you hate what you see? You look at all the fat and flab and places that bounce around and jiggle when they move and just want to close your eyes and wish them away. And even though you know with hard work you can lose the fat, there is always that threat of the flab hanging around, that extra skin that may not shrink down as much as you would like. Will my tummy ever be flat? Will those pockets of fat on my upper thigh always be flabby? In the end there is no real way of knowing what your body will look like, only knowing that it probably wonât be the perfect vision you see in your head.

While others may see me as pretty and beautiful and like me the way I am, they are not in my head when I am looking in the mirror. It isnât their thoughts that float around in my head when I try on a pair of pants and have to struggle to get the zipper up. Or when I try on a new shirt and it just accents my rolls of fat instead of hiding them. It isnât their thoughts I am thinking when I am doing that dreaded job of trying to find something that looks good on me without making me look bigger or pregnant. And lets not even begin discussing swimsuit shopping or actually wearing that swimsuit in public.

I am so tired of looking in the mirror and hating what I see. Tired enough that I am ready to change it. I feel more motivated now than when I started walking 35 days ago, even though the scale hasnât been as kind to me as I would have had liked it to be. Even with seeing no change, some lose, and then a slight gain, Iâm still at it. I havenât given up yet and do not see myself doing so.

This is something I need to do for myself, not only to feel better but also to prove to myself I can set my mind on something and do it, see it through to the end. Iâm not good at that part of things. I can come up with ideas, I can make plans, but more often than not they never get completed. My house is an example of that. All the things I have started and never finished. All those little things uncompleted things that added up.

When you spend 35-55 mins on a treadmill every day you have a lot of time to think about what you want and donât want. Last night during that internal dialog I tend to have with myself I decided that I really seriously want to lose weight. It is time, Iâm in the right mindset and I am going to take advantage of that. I donât want to sit here two years from now 20lbs heavier and be even more unhappy knowing I let more years pass before doing something about the way I feel. I also know that it will be easier to lose the weight while I am younger.

Two years ago, I lost 20-25 lbs leaving me 30-35 lbs to my original goal. Right now Iâm 45 lbs from it. My current goal is only 3 lbs less than last time, so the higher number comes from gaining back weight I had lost before. I know what I do, how I lose weight will factor into my life from now on. I will not be able to lose what I need to (and want to) then just stop doing everything I did to get there. I may not have to do as much of it, but I am completely aware that I will always have to watch my eating habits and that there will have to be some form or exercise in my life.

Which brings us to what I am doing to lose the weight. For any of my dear sweet friends that are concerned about me⦠I am not starving myself. I am not doing some stupid fad diet that only allows me to eat foods from a short list of what is âexpectableâ. I am not working out so much every day that it is taking over my life.

I think I have a good grasp, a good understanding, on what it does take to lose weight. It is not about going on a diet that you canât keep doing for the rest of your life or not eating anything at all. It is about changing your eating habits to something that can realistically be done from now on.

Losing weight is about moderation and adjustments. Losing weight is about eating more veggies, fruit and good for you things and less of the bad for you stuff. Losing weight is actually eating what you need to, when you need to, rather than skipping meals and being so starved that you pig out on crap when you finally sit down to eat.

By making several small changes you can really take out a lot of calories out of your diet with out feeling deprived or starved all the time. It is possible.

**When I originally started typing up this I went in to a tyrant on just how small changes in your diet can really pay off. I decide that Iâll be nice and save that for another blog. I also addressed my exercises issues that Iâll post later.**

With changing your eating habits and adding in exercise there are still a few more things to consider during this process to become healthier. It is not only a physical process but also an emotional one. Iâm trying to be prepared for the low, unsure, down, frustrating or unhappy moments. Because even if I do go through the happy times, proud of myself, and surprised/satisfied moments, there will always still be the other stuff to deal with. Even though I know Iâll have the highs and lows, and it will be an uphill battle, Iâm still going to do it.

Right now Iâm battling with issues of how people see me now and being afraid that they wonât like me after the weight loss. Itâs a hard thing to deal with and maybe in the end they wonât like me any more. Iâve come to terms with it being their issue to deal with, not mine. I cannot give up my need for a healthier life just to hold on to certain friends.

Iâve also learned that it is more beneficial for me to surround myself with people that are positive about this change in myself rather than those that are counter productive to my goals. I do think people are trying to be helpful by reminding me how pretty they think I am, or commenting on my sexiness now. Comments like these make me wonder if I will be less pretty or sexy when I do lose weight. I'd rather hear how I am doing a good thing and how they are proud of me. I need to know it will be worth all the hard work in the end.

I know that to get to the end it is very important for me to have realistic goals and expectations. If I am unrealistic about my expectations there is a big chance I will sabotage myself. And why start off by setting yourself up to fail?

I just want to set everyoneâs minds at ease that I do know what I am doing. Iâm going about this in a healthy way and I am not aiming to be so skinny that you canât see me if I turn sideways. Iâm not even aiming for the smallest weight for my weight.

I just want to be healthy and happy.

Donât I deserve to be that?

---
OKay there so you have it. On myspace it allows you to choose a mood that goes with your blog. When I entered one to go with this one it was 'exposed'. And that is how I feel at the moment. Maybe not in a bad way because I'm trying to be postive about dealing with everything, but when you put it all out there like that you can't help but to feel a little exposed.

I wanted to share this with everyone here because I wasn't sure if anyone else was going through the same things or the same thoughts I have been dealing with. If you are, you are not alone. If you aren't, I'm glad.

Hope my Chunky Monkey Sisters have a good Sunday!

Mencked Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:50pm
post #197 of 430

Wow TS--you've said it all! I so admire your determination--it is worth it for your health esp. and for many other reasons....I'm slacking a bit on the exercise end of things--so busy, but tonight I will walk no matter what--I have time because my daughter's piano lessons are cancelled! That's a 2 hr. chunk of time I wouldn't normally have--since we live in the middle of nowhere, we have to drive forever to get to these sorts of things--piano lessons, school, grocery store....anyway I'm kind of thankful for the extra time and will use it wisely. TS are you going to the OSSAS either as a competitor or observer? I'm hoping to fit it in somehow!! Go Chunky Monkeys!! Oh, and I think I lost another pound!!!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:06pm
post #198 of 430

Happy Tuesday Monkeys,

I'm back from Dallas, most of my stuff is put away. I feel so confident in my decorating and teaching right now. I can't wait to put my new knowledge into practice.

I haven't lost any weight. I had an appointment with the surgeon yesterday. He added another cc to my band. Hopefully this will help. I have to reduce activity for a couple of days while I try and let my plantar fasciitis get better. I got a cortizone shot from the podiatrist yesterday also. But still my progress is good according to the surgeon. So I'll keep on keeping on.

Is anyone planning on going to the Texas "That Takes the Cake" cake show this spring? That Takes the Cake website. It's running Feb. 28-Mar. 1, 2009 and is held in the Austin area. Let me know if you're attending. I'd love to make a point of joining you.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #199 of 430

Menked, with me sometimes just putting my thoughts on paper helps clear my mind and I'm glad I spent the time writing out how I felt because it was cleansing. It also helped to show me how I am really feeling about the issues I have to face, and how I am willing to face them to get to where I need to be.

I had concidered going to the OKSAS, even entering it, but I just can't afford it this year. I'm hoping next year. icon_smile.gif

EnjoyTheCake, I'm glad you feel refreshed from the seminar. I haven't been to one yet. They always fall a bad times for me.

When I decided not to go to the OKSAS I thought that I could always do the Texas one this next year. Just depends on what is going on then and if I have any money at the time to make the trip.

I didn't walk last night. I hated not doing it but I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it. I ended up getting a sinus headache yesterday afternoon and had to go teach with it. After class I noticed I had also added on a regular headache. When I got home I took some advil and ate, and decided to see how I felt after my food settled. Well my tummy was already not too happy through out the day and I just figured it was from the fried chicken we had Sunday night. After last night (and my nephew coming home from school sick) I'm thinking maybe I got a virus.

I don't have class tonight, so I am going to walk, no matter how I feel. It may take me forever but I'm going to do it.

Yesterday was weigh in morning and I did lose 1.7 lbs. After my gain last week, which I assumed was because of my period I was hoping for a greater number, especially since I upped my walking last week. I weighted this morning just to see. My weight was 170.4 yesterday it is 168.9 this morning. I don't know which is closer to what it really is though, yesterday morning where I was already having stomach problems or todays after a possible stomach virus?

I have decided that I am going to have to change my weigh in day from Monday to another day. My weekends are so off schedule and I think I'd feel better after weighing after some routine through out the week. I know in my head I shouldn't put too much stock in the scale numbers every week, but until I lose some more weight that's the only thing that shows improvement right now.

Good luck everyone!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #200 of 430

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I've been away for so long, but we've been extremely busy. I told Diane after the 2nd week of October things should settle down. I kind of fell off the wagon, after I hurt my back. I have 5 'slipped' discs-pretty much my whole lumbar system- and when I fell I really hurt myself. I'm still crushing grapes, but that's only by the Grace of God. When I first hurt myself 8 years ago, they gave me a bunch of painkillers and told me it was just going to get worse-- degenerative disc disease. I've learned to live with the pain and the numbness in my legs. As my grandfather would say "too far from the heart, don't worry about it". So I'm not able to work out the way that I want. I figure it's better to do a little yoga and stretching than really hurt myself. Although tonight I did get on the treadmill for 30 minutes, not much, but it's better than nothing.

TS-I loved your blog! I saw myself in you. I'm so proud of you and keep it up.

Diane-I've missed you! I've been looking at your ticker and I'm so proud of you. Think about it, only a couple more pounds and you will be in the 8's instead of the 9's. Woo hoo!!

Krystyne-you are one awesome monkey! Damn girl you rock out on your workouts! Keep going.

DebG-I hope you foot feels better. My sister had that and it hurt her like hell. I'm glad you liked your seminar, always cool learning new things. Good luck with the adjustment. I bet you will have really good luck. I'm crossing my fingers.

I promise I will keep in touch more often. I really do love all of you, my chunky monkey sisters. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:22pm
post #201 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyellam

TS-I loved your blog! I saw myself in you. I'm so proud of you and keep it up.

Thank you!

I was wondering how you were doing. I'm sorry your back is giving you so much trouble. Doesn't it just suck to want to do somethng and not be able to do it? Have you tried cutting back your calories more to help with not being able to work out?

I'll have to dig some websites up that I came across last week. They tell you how many calories you need to substant your current weight and you can figure out how many calories you will need to be the weight you want. But cutting back on the calories that you need for the weight you are now your body will start burning off fat it has stored to full itself. icon_smile.gif

I have had what I am not so foldly refering to as the Stomach Virus Diet this week. I have lost 4lbs since my weight in Monday morning. I know it isn't fat and is probably just water weight, so my weigh in next week will probably be screwed up. Because I haven't been able to eat or drink as much as I would have liked and the many trips to the bathroom in the last few days I haven't been able to walk since Sunday night.

And you know what... I miss it, and can't wait to get back to it. That's a good sign huh? Maybe if I am feeling up to it tonight I will try, but we will have to see how I do after I eat.

I'm ready for the Stomach Virus Diet to be over with so I can get back to doing what I need to do. Eating (healthy of course) and working out.

How has everyone elses weeks been going?

TexasSugar Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:49am
post #202 of 430

It's me again. Here are the links I refered to earlier.

http://health.discovery.com/tools/calculators/basal/basal.html

http://www.preventdisease.com/healthtools/articles/bmr.html (this one fiugres in how much exercise you do.)

They are a couple of BMR calculators. They show you how many calories you need to eat for your weight. You can see how much they say you should eat at your current weight to substain your body and how much you should eat at the weight you want to be. You can use those numbers to figure out how many calories a day you need to cut to lose weight. Just remember never go below 1200 calories.

Based off the second link at my current weight of 170 with my height and age, I need 1543 calories a day to stay at this weight. If you include 50 mins of walking (light exercise) I can have up to 1668 calories.

I am aiming for 127lbs. At that weight I would need 1358 calories to maintain that weight. 1483 with my light exercise.

That means if I actually ate only what I needed for my body weight and I cut back 200 calories a day that is 200 calories my body would have to burn 200 calories of fat for fuel. Of course before I started this process I was probably eating way more than that. So lets say I was eating 2000 calories a day. That's almost 500 more than I actually need at my current weight, hence the steady weight gain. And how to we reverse that? Cut back on what we eat.

I find this information interesting cause when it comes to dieting everyone can tell you don't eat less than 1200 calories but how many people actually know how many calories their bodies need to function?

According to these I'd need between 1300-1400 or so calories for my body to function at the weight I want to be. Even though that is only 100 to 200 calories more than 1200 it sounds alot more do-able than 1200. When you break down 1200 between three meals and two snack it doesn't seem to leave you with alot. Plus the more I work out the more fat I burn and when I do get to the weight I want, the more I work out the more I can eat. icon_smile.gif

krystyne_wilson Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:52am
post #203 of 430

Hey ladies!!!

Sorry it's been a few days. They changed my internet at work and I can no longer access CC there icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Things have been VERY VERY busy around here as we're getting ready to head home. I haven't been to the gym or worked out in about a week icon_sad.gif But I just haven't had the time. We've had classes, inspections, packing up, etc etc PLUS my period just started which would explain why on Monday I was up 1.4# (taking out almost my whole loss from the week prior!)

They pushed our PT test back to mid Oct which will help because no one has had time to go to the gym lately. I hate how I'm feeling right now, tired and grumpy... I'm ready to get home!!!

TS~ WOW girl! I know how you feel about needing to let it all out. I hope that you feel better and more clear after getting all that off your chest icon_wink.gif

Deb~Glad you had a good time in Dallas. I may go to "That takes the cake", I've never heard of it but I'm not far from Austin (Killeen) so if I can get off work or it's over the weekend I may be able to go!!!

Diane~It's nice I bet to get that extra time with your daughter and for yourself. I hope you enjoyed it!

You all are AMAZING and I think about you ALL THE TIME!! I may not be able to get on here as much as I was now but know that my prayers are with you all... WE ARE DOING THIS!!!

GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #204 of 430

Well Hello monkeys,

It seems like ages since I've posted. I've been a little distracted with getting cake dummies ready, and october class promotions, and school and stressing about my house being a disaster and making my husband's birthday cake. I posted the in the female anatomy naughty section here on CC. I used MMF for the first time and my MM weren't fresh. I had a few issues but overall, the taste was MUCh better than some store bought stuff we've had.

Weight wise I had a band adjustment last week, eating has been very challenging. I haven't had much nutritional stuff in the last couple of days. It seems anythign with any kind of substance just wants to come back up. I just have to find stuff that I can chew up better. Doc isn't worried at this point we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Aerobics is going very well, but I haven't ridden my bike to school again yet. I need to ride it on a day when it's not necessary so I can convince myself I can do it. I am still feeling the embarassment of not being able to ride up the hills the first day of school. I'll get there again I'm sure of it. I'm still recovering from some nasty blisters I got last weekend so closed shoes area challenge too. But I should be able to wear tennis shoes again very very soon. Also the cortisone shot I got for the plantar fasciitis has made a WORLD of difference. My foot hardly hurts at all and I can actually stretch it properly.

I hope all the beautiful chunky monkeys are doing well. Love you and keep up the fantastic work.

Deb

Mencked Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #205 of 430

Hello chunky monkeys--it's so good to hear from everyone!!!--I finally walked today for the first time in a long time (a week or more!)--I was afraid that I would have lost the speed I had been walking at, but it was no problem and I think that means I need to speed the treadmill up again!
I had a cake-free weekend for the first time in a long time too--gearing up for weddings the next 2 weekends including the biggest wedding I've ever done--I just keep telling myself "be peaceful, you can do it"--because really I want to just freak out when I occasionally think of it all icon_smile.gif! I'm even going to be putting my husband to work making hundreds of red velvet cupcakes--he's willing and I'll take all of the help I can get!
On the weight-loss front I'm doing really well on the eating healthy!! I feel good, now if I could just get the exercising in!
Deb--good luck with the blisters and it's great fun to see you in your avatar!
Krys-How dare they take away your CC access at work icon_smile.gif--I truly believe I would go stark-raving mad if I didn't have access to CC at work! I can't wait until you get to come home!
TS-Thanks for the links--I hate to count calories, but I really need to because I think I often don't eat enough and that screws up anyone's weight loss big time! You are really a good writer!
And lastly Lady Ellam my dear--so good to hear from you!! Hope your back gets better soon!!!
Good luck all of you lovely chunky monkeys!!!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:20am
post #206 of 430

hi everyone. i know i am late to the game, but was hoping you'd still let me join?

i am a 30 year old sahm to 3 year old twin boys. i gained 65 pounds during my pregnancy and... well... not much of it came off after the boys were born. i don't eat much during the day, but as soon as the boys go to bed, i sit in my chair with a bag of popcorn or a bowl of ice cream and go to town. i am 5'2 and about 145 lbs. i would love to be down to 120-125. i think the worst feeling in the world is the feeling of my thighs rubbing together. i always think i'm gonna start a fire down there.

anyway, i tied weight watchers last year and did well on it, until i got tired of eating the same food over and over. i lost interest and gave up.

can i be helped??? thanks!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #207 of 430

Jescapades-You are certainly welcome to join us. And who cares if you mess up today, you can always start again tomorrow on the eating healthy plan. My biggest advice is don't deprive yourself during the day. Eat when you are most active. Try and avoid eating when you're unwinding from the day.

Krystyne-When you get home, my husband and I will drive up and visit. Just let us know when a good time is. We can talk cake or military life or you can help us get ready for my husband's deployment. His batallion is scheduled to go overseas in July 09. Not sure exactly where, but right now it's probably Iraq. he's in the Navy reserves so it's probably different from what you guys are doing, but eithe way I'm sure we'd have a lot to talk about. Or you can come to Austin and we'll take you both out for some BBQ or whatever you want. Even if it's home made something or nother. Are you going to be home for Thanksgiving? Maybe you want to come down for Thanksgiving with us? Whatever it is, let me know we'll make it happen.

Diane-Thanks, the picture is from my August Class preview day. I like the picture and it's pretty average for me. Pink shirt and a bag of icing in my hand. =)

TexasSugar Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #208 of 430

Jescapades, we can offer support and suggestions. You yourself have the answer to your question. Can you be helped? Are you ready to do it?

There are some great ideas and suggestions in the past pages of this thread. I know there are alot to sort though, but I would suggest doing some back reading.

If WW worked but was hard to stick to, then it sounds like you need to look for something different. I'm more of a fan of life style changes rather than diets. Portion control and moderation. That way you don't feel limited to a certain list of things you can eat and still get to eat things you enjoy.

If you find yourself wanting to snack more at night when you are still have you thought about finding something that keeps your hands busy? Crocheting, knitting, needle point, writing or any other craft that keeps your hands in motion and on something that you don't want to spread popcorn grease to.

You may also want to tune into your feelings during that time as well. What about that time makes you want to eat. Are you lonely? Bored? Frustrated?

Mencked, I walked last night for the first time in almost a week and was amazed at how well I did. I was able to push myself and made great time. Shows that my body is adjusting to it, but also that I am getting fitter when I can take days off then hope back on and still go at the same speeds if not a little higher. I had thought it would have been harder not as easy as it was.

I don't want to be at the point where I am always counting calories, but I think right now for me it will help. It is easy being aware of how many you are eating at a meal, but then when you start adding all those meals and snacks up it is easy to eat more than you planned too.

EnjoyTheCake, I was wondering about you. Sounds like you have been very busy. Hope the eating gets better for you. Give that bike another chance. You can do it!

Krystyne_wilson, I'm sorry they won't let you on at work any more. That isn't very nice at all. icon_sad.gif I hope this weeks loss is better for you. I dealt with the period week two weeks ago. Hate them!! Never fun for weight less, you already feel bad and that doesn't inspire much either.

It did feel good to say what I did. I was thinking last night I may start a journal of sorts just to write that stuff out when I need to, so it doesn't get built up as much. This really is as much of an emotional journy as a physical one.

This is a new week for me. icon_smile.gif I'm hoping to get back on track eating since the virus. I'm also going to try to plan my breakfast, snacks, and lunch for the week and go shopping so I have food on hand for healthy meals.

I've decide it isn't just about calorie cutting for me. I can cut back on what I eat and can lose weight. But I also need to start eating better things. I need to have less calories, but also more protein, more vits, more nutrients. By doing that I can eat less, but still feel good and like I have eaten.

That's my goal for the week. To plan meals and to (really) eat better.

Good luck Chunky Monkey Gal's! We can do this!

TexasSugar Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #209 of 430

The Top 10 Things You Don't Want to Hear About Weight Loss
(But What You Need to Know if You Want to be in Shape!)

10) No, you won't end up looking like the latest hot young model/singer/actress!

Let's face it: your body is your body. It's the only one you've got. Can you still look great? Sure! But there are some things you can't change. You can't make your legs longer or your feet smaller. You can't grow five inches or elongate your torso. You have what you have, so work with it! Concentrate on making a healthy and fit you instead of wishing you looked like someone else. You don't have to be perfect to be attractive. A strong, fit body as well as the self-confidence it brings can make any person attractive!

9) It's better to be muscular and weigh more than to be flabby and weigh less.

I've said it so many times: I'd much rather be 135lbs and muscular than 120lbs and flabby. I've been both, and 135lbs with a lower percent of body fat was definitely better! I was smaller, stronger and had much more energy. So, don't always seek that magical number on the scale, but look at your total body composition instead.

icon_cool.gif You can't get fit in a week.

Okay, well, you can, but only if you're one week away from being in peak condition and you keep working out. Otherwise, forget about it! If you want to look good for that class reunion or because you'll be in a bikini soon, then get moving way before that. Or better yet, get moving for your own health and not for "things" like reunions and bikinis.

7) You need to put some effort into it.

You want to get fit? You have to work at it. You have to plan it, you have to schedule it, and, most importantly, you have to do it. No excuses. Sitting on the couch, telling yourself you should be doing something will not burn up a lot of calories. If nothing else, get out there and start walking. And while you're out there walking think about a plan of action for a healthier you and get started on it today -- not tomorrow!

6) You need to exercise.

Can you lose weight just by diet alone? Sure, you can! But if you want to get fit, you need to exercise those muscles, including your heart. And that heart won't get any exercise if you're sitting on the couch, eating broccoli. Lose the weight that you need to lose and you'll just end up with a thin, but flabby, body. Get moving! Weight training is ideal, but if you're really not into weight training, find an activity you like to do that work all your major muscle groups.

5) You need to eat properly.

Putting aside any low carb/low fat/high protein controversies, the simple fact is, if you want a fit body, you need to nourish it. Protein, carbs and fat are important, but vitamins and minerals are key elements that your body needs, too. No matter what way of eating you're following make sure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals. Add a variety of fresh vegetables and fruit to your diet. The next time you go grocery shopping, linger around the produce section and not only pick out some old favorites, but experiment a little by trying something new!

4) You can't lose weight overnight.

You didn't gain it overnight -- or in two months -- and you're not going to lose it overnight -- or in two months. Think of getting fit as a train leaving the station: you start off slow, gather speed and then off you go! Patience is the key here. Look for consistent trends. If you're really not losing fat and getting stronger after a couple of months, then you need to sit down and honestly analyze what you're doing. Keep a journal to help you know how you're really eating and exercising.

3) You can't spot reduce.

Genetics will decide where the fat will come off. Doing 1000 crunches won't reduce your belly fat. Nor will 1000 leg lifts get rid of the fat on your inner thighs. Your body does not burn the fat it needs from the body part that you're exercising. Your body will burn fat much like an onion is peeled, a layer at a time, if you will. So, don't overdo it on the exercise for one specific body part and look to getting your whole body in shape.

2) There are no quick fixes.

That's right, you heard me. There are no quick fixes. None. Put all those pills, potions, contraptions and miracle diets in the garbage where they belong. Learn the basics about how your body gains muscle and loses fat, so you won't get sucked in by another scam again.

1) Fitness is a lifelong commitment!

So, you faithfully work out and eat properly and you've reached your goals. Now what? Well, now you've got to keep doing it for the rest of your life, that's what! You can't just work your way to being fit and then stop, because you'll end up exactly like you were before. Fitness is a lifelong commitment. And, you want to know a secret? It isn't easy! And anyone who says it is easy is trying to sell you something. Make fitness a lifelong ambition and you'll reap the rewards of a long and healthy life, filled with energy, strength and an overall sense of well being.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #210 of 430

So true and so depressing at the same time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%