Back To Betty Crocker.

Decorating By deena1987 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 1:53am by dawncr

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:55am
post #1 of 7

I have made 2 Duncan Hines butter cake and both have flopped. Made one last night and decided to put a little sour cream in and see what happens and it was too moist -just fell apart in the pan but didn't taste bad. Got up this morning and made another by the recipe on box and it fell and is crumbly-tastes awful. I'm going back to Betty Crocker. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

6 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deena1987

I have made 2 Duncan Hines butter cake and both have flopped. Made one last night and decided to put a little sour cream in and see what happens and it was too moist -just fell apart in the pan but didn't taste bad. Got up this morning and made another by the recipe on box and it fell and is crumbly-tastes awful. I'm going back to Betty Crocker. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

When I make WASC cake, I only use DH (I dont like Betty or Pillsbury) and the only problem I have had was a few months ago, all the yellow cakes were looking like cornbread. But that went away (must have been a bad batch) But lately I have had no problems at all. I love DH..

(y'all DH was bought out by a different company last year..that maybe why some people are seeing issues?)

I did see a thread on here about some dates in April where the cakes didnt rise. Afraid I don't remember the dates...

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 7

I have equally great success with both DH & BC. I always use an extender recipe (usually from the cake mix doctor) when I use a mix for a recipe. I do love the recipe for in the Cake Mix Dr. for butter cake because it is very close to my scratch recipe I use too.

I'm sorry you didn't have good luck with DH. Maybe someone else will have a solution as to -- why?

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 7

Is that recipe on line or in a book? I really need a good butter recipe.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 7

Suzycakes, could you send me that recipe for butter cakes also? I need to bake on Thursday, and would love to use your recipe! Thank you so much!!!

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 7

an extra egg can make the cake more dense and prevent it from crumbling also line the pan with parchment paper- makes a great difference.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

(y'all DH was bought out by a different company last year..that maybe why some people are seeing issues?)

I did see a thread on here about some dates in April where the cakes didnt rise. Afraid I don't remember the dates...

As a longtime DH fan, I have to agree that recently, I've had a few bad/strange boxes. It's like they're getting a few bad batches in there. However, I can't risk (or afford) to have a bad cake very often.

If they don't get a handle on their quality control, they'll lose a customer. I wonder what's going on?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%