Red Icing-I Hate To Ask Again.....

Decorating By auntsteff Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm by wildflower

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #1 of 13

I have read many posts about how to make RED icing. I have tried Americolor and Wilton. I have even tried a combination of both. I tried pink first, then add red. I simply can not get RED.

Please, please help me. I have a lady that wants several small red football-type items this fall!

12 replies
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:10am
post #2 of 13

our school colors are red and black so I am constantly doing red. I use powdered red food coloring ordered through Ck products. I may use two bottles of powder just to get a red that it red. The color intensifies as it sits. Needless to say we freeze any left overs to use on the next cake. I never had good luck with the paste or gel red colorings. Good luck.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #3 of 13

I just use the wilton no taste red but it takes darn near half the container.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 13

Your best bet is chefmaster liqua gel. It takes very little and you get red instantly. If you look at the catsup on my cheesburger cake in my photos that red only sat for 5 minutes at the most before I used it. Their colors are concentrated and very intense. Their black works just as good as the red.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 13

earlene moore introduces me to bakery crafts ..... it is called red red.... it is great.. and yes it intensifies as it sets like any other color .. so be careful not to get it so dark to start with...hth

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 13

I use red airbrush color as the liquid in my recipe when making a batch of red buttercream. Works beautifully with very little wait time and no bitter aftertaste.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 13

I only use Americolor Super Red and have never had any problems (is that the color you used?)

Also, a loooong time ago I was taught that if wanted to do red, make the icing orange first...and then start adding your red color. I've tried it and it works, but after switching to all Americolors, I've never done it again.

Good luck!

-Michelle

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 13

I found that the CK Powder coloring works the best next to Air Brushing it

Molly2

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 13

I've used Americolor Super Red and it works great.

But, as far as Wilton goes, I've used Red Red and Christmas Red. You need to add equal amounts of the two colors and let it sit for a few minutes to get a bright red color.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 13

Wilton no taste red is what I use. In my pics I have cookies that have red red icing. It took the whole bottle, then letting it sit for a while to darken more. Red I think is just a hard color to get lol!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliwis000

Wilton no taste red is what I use. In my pics I have cookies that have red red icing. It took the whole bottle, then letting it sit for a while to darken more. Red I think is just a hard color to get lol!

It's not hard to get if you use the right brand icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:32pm
post #12 of 13

Hi, the red by Americolor works great!! you may have to let it sit overnight and it will get pretty red.

I do not like the Wilton...it turns pink but never red.
Good luck!

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 13

hi tiggy2!
i was wondering where u get ur chefmaster liqua gel?it sounds liek a heaven send
i had to make ri red roses and i though o well royal icing colors fade so i used liek a whole bottel of wilton red,then some powdered color....turned out perfect until of course....it darkened!needless to say now i have a dark red rose...grrrr,luckily i can still make use of it but id liek to avoid that for next time,thnx soo much for asking auntsteff!
[did i mention im addicted to cc and i absolutely love all u guys?ur always soo helpful and friendly,i honestly dont know what i would do without u guys!]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%