Please Help- Fondant And Buttercream And Refrigeration Quest

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm by shannycakes321

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to making cakes for people other than my own family and closest friends.
An acquaintance asked me to do one for a baby shower that I am not attending. Because of the timing, the cake will have to be completed the night before the shower.
I always use the Extra Special Buttercream recipe on the wilton site, with the whipping cream. It is what she is expecting. I know it has to be refrigerated. Also, I will be using a raspberry buttercream filling that has to be refrigerated, too, I guess
I am going to decorate it with MM fondant stripes and a bow and a banner that says "It's a boy!"
The cake will be iced white and w/ baby blue decorations.
Can I safely refrigerate it?
If not, does anyone know a comparable icing recipe that is as yummy?

3 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:36am
post #2 of 4

Sure, you can refrigerate it. Standard procedure. icon_smile.gif

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you.
I have seen several posts that said not to refrigerate fondant, so I was not sure.
I am glad to know it will be OK.

shannycakes321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakes321 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 4

I almost always use filings that require refrigeration, and prefer MMF to anything else outside. I have had no problems putting the finished cake in the fridge. I have heard to let it come out of the fridge and up to room temp in A/C if possible. I do usually use a crisco butter cream to do outside decorations on top of the MMF just in case, I think it is more stable and holds up better to temp changes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%