Business By andrea7 Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm by andrea7

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a new location for my bakery. I keep finding landlords who want me to assume all responseability for there property. If the pipes clog, the furance breaksdown etc etc. it's for me to fix and pay for. I have huge problems with this. The storefront that I want has water damage on the wall and the carpets have been pulled out. That tells me water damage of some sort. If there is a on going issue, the landlord doesn't have to tell me and then i'm screwed when it rains. I think I might snoop around the place and talk to some other businesses around there , they may have imput about the space or the landlord. I understand that if I somehow neglected the property that would be my fault and have to pay accordingly, but paying his to fix his property is just ridiculas!!!! I'm sure there are others of you in this position. How did you deal with this.

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 5

Sounds like what you're talking about is what is referred to as Triple-Net. Basically you're right ... tenant takes responsiblility for pretty much everything (let me show you my $2200 air conditioner repair bill so you can see what I mean!).

You can try to negotiate it as part of your lease agreement. Make your offer with wording of "Due to evidence of water damage, landlord is responsible for fixing current damage and any new damage due to water damage." Pay the attorney fee to have him help you write this offer. It's SO worth it!!

The worse that can happen is they say no .... and you move on to the next place.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:58am
post #3 of 5

aren't most business leases set up that way?

i have to fix everything at the place i rent too, ac water heater are just a few of the things i've had to fix.

that place sounds like a real headache if you have to fix i wouldn't want thousands of dollars worth of equipment sitting in a place that floods

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 5

Maybe you could locate the owner of the business that rented there before and see if they can give you any info on the damage, etc.

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 5

I snuck around the property today. I talked to several businesses next to the spot I want to rent. No one has ever seen or heard of water damage (one lady has been there 4years). The place I want hasn't been rented out for about 1 year. I will just go to the owner of the property and just tell him what I think and he will have to reword the contract . That there was water damage when I started renting and beyond that I will not be responsible for any future water damage if it happens again. Thanks for the input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%