Quitting Smoking Today! Help!!! Lol

Lounge By TonyaBakes Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 12:06am by SharonZ

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 9

I'm quitting cold turkey today- no meds or anything icon_eek.gif , Haven't had one all day and it's starting to get to me now-lol! I was hoping to hear from you former smokers out there, anything I can do to help beat the cravings besides the patch or a pill? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
icon_lol.gif

8 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 9

I have never smoked, have never even tried, but all I can say is YOU GO GIRL!!!

Good for you! Everytime you start jonesing for a ciggie just remember how gross it is.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 9

I can't help, as I'm a non-smoker, but I just wanted to say Way to GO!!!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:39am
post #4 of 9

Good for you! I know you can do it, and you're going to feel a lot better...just think about it, no more morning cough, no more yellow fingers, no more getting a cold every time someone even sneezes near you, no more (if you'd gotten to this point) slow-healing feet, no more wasting $4 on a pack that will be turned to ash and trash in a day or so, no more having to go outside in absolute icy cold weather for a smoke, no more worrying about if you have a lighter unless it's someone's birthday and you need to light a candle.

I quit in November and I was miserable...but I'm glad I did it and I'm feeling much better now.

If you can hold out for three days, that's how long it takes the nicotine to get out of your system. After that it's all the mental craving to deal with.

Promise yourself a reward...figure out how much you were spending on smokes for the month, and at the end of the month go spend that money on something you've really been wanting.

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 9

I quit smoking June 12th of last year cold turkey after smoking for 25 years. I NEVER NEVER thought I could quit, cold turkey or not! I had gotten bronchitis right before that for the very first time. I had to drive myself to the ER because I couldn't get ahold of my husband because he was down range somewhere with no phone service. I COULD NOT catch a breath literally. I was terrified. They told me I had bacterial bronchitis, gave me some meds and sent me home. I told myself after I picked up a cig again and I coughed, that was it. If I woke up coughing, that was it. Well, that's what happened and I just stopped. That was it. I was scared enough to stop. I refused to be one of those people on those COPD commercials or carrying around my own portable oxygen tank.

Besides every now and then, VERY few and far between moments, I have not craved smoking again. It's like I never smoked! My husband used that chantix stuff to quit though. It's best to just quit cold turkey I think. That tapering down stuff with the gum or patch, all it does it prolong getting ALL the nicotine out of your system. Annnnnnd, I am proof-positive that you gain weight after quitting!! Holly cow, I had NO idea food tasted that d a m n good!!! My taste buds had a reawakening!!! LOL!! Seriously, food tasted sooooo much better and now I'm paying for it!!

Anyway.......good luck. I really had no problems after quitting and I smoked EVERYWHERE and during everything! Just not in the house though. After eating, driving my car, outside on the porch, etc. I don't know...I guess I was just lucky!!

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 9

You can definately do this if this is something you want. I was the "smoker" that would never quit my friends all thought, but I always said when I have kids thats it for me. I had to quit well working in a bar around people who smoked.....fun!! It really is all mental, like someone said give it a few days and it will be better. Just don't give up, when you get a craving get busy and it will pass. They say smoking is harder to quit then heroin as it actually changes your brain patterns. A cigarette is basically just a nicotine delivery system. This is why there is withdrawl your body feels it needs the nictine to function. Don't give in, remember it only takes one cig to make you start all over again. You will add years to your life and you will break free from the hold it has on you. I stopped and never looked back, you can too!! GOOD LUCK!

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 9

Good for you! I quit smoking about 5 years ago. I tried probably 3 times to quit smoking before I actually did. It was the hardest thing I ever did! I think one of the hardest things to quit wasn't necessarily the cigarettes but my smoking routine. I would wake up have a diet coke and a cigarette, then as I was driving to work (that was the worst one to get over), then on breaks, driving home, and especially after dinner. Once I got a different routine established it was easier to deal with. To this day I still want one when things get stressful, but I will not start again. All that work for nothing? I don't think so! I would suggest to have something with you that you could put in your mouth. Like a pen, straw, sucker, etc... That way you still get the feel of a cigarette in your hand. I know there were a lot of people that thought I was nuts because I was "smoking" a straw. Once they realized I was quitting smoking they didn't give me so much grief. Hang in there, you'll make it. Even if you slip up, just get right back in there and try again. It might take a couple of tries, but you'll get it. thumbs_up.gif

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 9

Good luck and just take it one day at a time. If that gets to hard then just take it one hour at a time. Sugar free gum seemed to help me. I've been smoke free for 6 years.

I'm cheering you on!!!

Kathy

SharonZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonZ Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:06am
post #9 of 9

You can do it. I quit cold turkey 9 months ago. The first week is the hardest. Keep yourself busy, drink water when you get a craving, chew some gum or on a straw. Do something with your hands. It does get easier. You'll have cravings every now and then when things get stressful but don't give in. In time the smell of cigarette smoke will disgust you.
Good luck,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%