3D Elephant

Decorating By Denae Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm by tippyad

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 2

hey all...i have a request for a 3D elephant...anyone have any suggestions or instruction oon how to carve or what pans to use? any ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

1 reply
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 2

See this picture:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1199055

from yourstrulytx:
Sure no problem.
I asked Doug for help and he sent me an example, so I have included it for you too, it was a lot of help.

Body-Wonder Mold
Head-RKT
Legs-cake baked in 10oz soup cans, then carved a bit
Arms-mmf
Ears/Trunk- 50/50 mmf and gum paste
Pillow-single 10" square cake torted and filled 3 times then carved into pillow shape.

I started with the pillow, I carved it and covered in mmf and decorated it.
I then carved the Wonder Mold down a little (I only needed 30 servings for the whole cake so I had to make it a little smaller). I iced it and set it aside.
I then carved the legs out of the cake baked in the soup cans; I cut the ends where they were to be attached to the body at and angle so that they would sit flush with the body. I attached the legs to the body with BC and toothpicks. The body and legs were all sitting on a 10" cake circle.
Then I covered the legs and body as one with mmf, and chilled it in the fridge.
I made the head out of rkt; I mixed some white chocolate in with the marshmallows to make it dry harder. I formed a ball and rolled it on the counter pushing hard to really compact it and make it smooth. Then iced it and covered it in mmf, it helped to stick the head on a skewer to ice and cover, that way I didnât have to touch it, just the skewer.
Then after the body and legs where chilled I lifted them off the circle and placed them on the pillow, I put straws in the pillow first to support the elephants weight.
I hammered a dowel through the entire thing and then sharpened the top of the dowel and attached the head, gluing it in place with some royal icing (I stuck a cupcake holder through the dowel to catch my shavings). Next I made the arms and all the detail. The ears and trunk I had made the day before with gum paste and mmf, I let them dry hard. I attached both with toothpicks and royal icing.
Thatâs about it, I think I covered everything, if I left anything out just ask!
I hope I havenât confused you too much.
Good Luck!
Jess

Hope this helps!

Tippyad

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%