Can I Use Cream Cheese Frosting On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By mishl2 Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 1:25am by cherrycakes

mishl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishl2 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 4

I haven't made a wedding cake in over 25 years and now my daugher wants to make her own wedding cake, with my help. She wants carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. It will be a simple cake, round with three layers (of course each layer will have two cakes with frosting in the center). I know to flatten each layer and put cardboard inbetween. Anyone see any problems? Should we keep it refrigerated ?
Thanks for any help.

3 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 4

Just remember a good support system. And remember that cream cheese does need to be refridgerated, also it doest crust well so it is a little harder to smooth. I have seen some recipes on here that says it will crust. But I haven't had much luck. I love cream cheese icing!!!!

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 4

I made a delicious carrot cake this weekend and the icing was really good but I noticed that as it sat the icing starting to look like it had little oil puddles here and there so I had to put it in the fridge. Also it crusted but again strange little puddles on the cake, and it wasn't very smooth..... but then I didn't sift either. Here is the link to the recipe.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4153-Decorators-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #4 of 4

I used the Crusting Cream Cheese recipe by Kathy Finholt found here on CC for a cake for Father's Day. I used the basketweave so I'm not sure how smooth you could get it for a wedding cake but it was very tasty and really nice to work with. I did also refrigerate it - don't think you can get away from having to do that with cream cheese.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%