I Need Some Help With My Wilton Giant Cupcake Please

Decorating By floophs Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm by floophs

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

OK, my son's b-day party is tomorrow and I'll be making the giant cupcake. He's requested that the top part of the cupcake be white cake and the bottom half chocolate. He really wanted the whole thing to be frosted with canned frosting icon_cry.gif but I just think that will look goofy. So I was wondering if you thought it would be ok to frost the bottom chocolate half with the chocolate frosting and the top half with bc. My hubby thinks the cupcake "grooves" from the pan will get lost on the bottom of the cupcake if I frost it...but I don't really want to leave it bare (plus, my son wants canned chocolate frosting). Do you think it will be fine to frost the bottom?

Sorry for the silly question but I'm still very new to decorating cakes. icon_redface.gif Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated too. Is there anything fun (but farely easy) I can do other than just swirling the whole top with bc?

Thanks everyone!

5 replies
Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 6

You could take the edge of a knife and press it in the sides of the bottom to regain the look of the grooves (would probably need to clean off the knife after each time, or just run the knife tip down the bottom in lines and remove a bit of the icing). As for the top I have seen pictures where it looked like a large star tip was used to pipe rosettes all over the top of the cupcake and I think it looks great!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 6

I have done that cupcake a few times but did the bottom in fondant and top bc. I also think the grooves will get lost, but that didn't bother me. It still looked like a big cupcake. Maybe someone else has done it that can suggest something else.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 6

What if you iced the bottom in buttercream and did the top in the chocolate frosting like he wants. Then it'd look like one big homemade cupcake. You could still top it with some sprinkles or polka's. You could make a fondant candle on the top. And then make a little banner to go in front with happy birthday on it.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 6

Here's a pic of what I was referring to with the rosettes on top. With sprinkles like someone else said would be great!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1172004

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

Hey, thanks everyone for the great ideas. We are going to the cake store to pick out some sprinkles and hopefully I'll be able to tie it all together once I figure out the sprinkles, etc.

My son is now saying he wants green and blue big dots on the bottom of it....we'll see. He has seen some of the cakes that I've saved in "My favorite photos" and he has the assumption that I can pull some of this stuff off. Give me a few more Wilton classes and a LOT of practice and maybe some day but for now...I need to think and do "simple". icon_lol.gif I'll let you know what I come up with. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%