Airbrush Advice

Decorating By Mencked Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 2:02am by melodyscakes

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 8

I have a four tier chocolate BC wedding cake that needs to have a "shiny" finish. I have been wanting to get an airbrush forever and I think this is definitely the time to do it--but I have confused myself on what would be the best one to get. I am in the process of getting legal, having a commercial kitchen and know I'll be using it a great deal more in the future. Advice please!!!

7 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 8

If you do a search on 'airbrush,' you will find hours upon hours of reading to do on this subject, and I bet you'll find a few threads where Jan has provided a comprehensive list of links to threads on airbrushes. icon_smile.gif

Mencked Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 8

I have been reading and reading, although I haven't found the Jan one yet but I bet it's there! icon_smile.gif That's what is confusing me!! AFter all of this reading I'm leaning towards just getting the KopyKake KROMA one--I'd love to hear what people think is the best brand, cost, etc. I'm so confused!!!!

Mencked Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 8

Please, anyone with a smidgen of airbrush expertise?!?! Advice please!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

I have the aztek 470 and IMO it's far superior to the kopykake. I took a airbrush class and everyone had the kopykake but me and everyone's finished product had little specks or spatters but me. It just seems to have a "finer finisher" for lack of a better way of putting it.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 8

Well, I've had a Paasche for quite awhile and was happy with it but didn't need to do any fine detail work. A couple of weekends ago, I took an airbrushing class with Bronwen Weber and she said that my Paasche was too big for detailing (it's a 3.0 size), so I bought what she had supplied for everyone who didn't already own one: an Airbrush City GD400 (a 2.0 size). I can really do some fine detailing work now and love it. It does not speckle or splatter.

As for a compressor, I have an Airmaster Plus by Kopykake.

Mencked Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 8

This is exactly the kind of advice I was needing--thank you so much!!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #8 of 8

I have the small one, the koroma from Kopykake and it works fine for me. I use my luster dust with vodka mix and airbrush some of my wedding cakes, and it works perfect for that.
I haven't used it yet for detail work, buy employee is awesome with it and does beautiful detail work with it.

hope this helps!

although, I always want to buy the very best so you don't have to do the costly upgrade later...so you may want to go with the other kinds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%