Mexican Cake

Baking By heavenscent Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 4:26am by heavenscent

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:23am
post #1 of 4

I have a grooms cake request for a mexican chocolate cake it has cinamon and chocolate chips can any one tell me a good way to get this effect with a doctored cake mix. Thanks

3 replies
roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #2 of 4

i would just add like a tsp of ground cinnamon and toss the choc chips in a little flour to lightly coat them so they dont sink to the bottom and add them to the cake

menina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menina Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:41am
post #3 of 4

On the Martha Stewart website there is a recipe for a mexican chocolate pudding filling that is great for filling a cake. I'd still probably add some cinnamon and dutched cocoa to the cake mix, but this would be great with it. (this is also so good to eat just plain...mmm)
Mexican hot chocolate pudding
Ingredients
Makes enough to fill 15 cupcakes
⢠ 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
⢠ 1 3/4 tablespoons cornstarch
⢠ 3 tablespoons sugar
⢠ 1 pinch salt
⢠ 1/2 cup heavy cream
⢠ 2 egg yolks
⢠ 1 cup milk
⢠ 3 ounces Mexican chocolate, chopped (6 Tbsp?)
⢠ 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⢠ 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
Directions
1.  Place cocoa powder, cornstarch, sugar, salt, heavy cream, egg yolks, milk, and chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
2.  Remove from heat and strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a medium bowl; discard solids. Immediately stir in butter and vanilla until well combined. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Transfer pudding to a refrigerator until chilled, about 4 hours.
The mexican hot chocolate it is calling for you can find in many grocery stores. I get mine at Walmart or winco in the mexican food aisle. It is called abuelita. They are round (delicious smelling!!) chocolate disks in a round container.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:26am
post #4 of 4

thanks for the tips ladies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%