Questions

Decorating By Tomayo Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 1:23am by Tomayo

Tomayo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomayo Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #1 of 5

Hi! I'm new to baking so I hope I'll learn from everyone here!!

My good friend's birthday is coming up and I found this picture of a beautiful cake a Hong Kong celebrity made and posted on her blog. It was her first time making it so I thought I could do the same! Why not right?

But I don't know how she made the pink things on the very top? It looks like candy to me but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me what they are and how I can make them? I tried going to bakeries and ask but they vaguely told me to melt chocolate and peel them off...

greatly appreciate the comments!!!
LL

4 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:06am
post #2 of 5

It is chocolate curls. There is a tutorial on here I think that shows how to do it. If you can't find it just put your chocolate in the fridge and then shave it with a vegetable peeler. You may have to play with the temperature to get it to peel good though because it has to be just right not to hot and not to cold but you should be able to do it just fine. Be sure to post a pic too.

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #3 of 5

They look like chocolate curls, white chocolate with pink food coloring. Usually you make chocolate curls by running a vegetable peeler over a slightly warmed chocolate bar.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 5

I'm not too sure but they look like chocolate curls to me. If you melt some white chocolate and put a little pink colouring in it, let it dry in a loaf tin or something square or rectangular. When it's fully set use a peeler to get the curl effect. Hope that made sense!

Tomayo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomayo Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 5

oh my! thank you for all the comments! I realllly appreciate it! I'll be sure to give it a try! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%