"can You Make One Ahead So

Business By karateka Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 3:21am by MichelleM77

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 14

I can see what it will look like?"

That is what my bride asked me today at the tasting. I played dumb as though I didn't understand what she was asking, to see if she'd repeat it. I just wrinkled my brow and said "What do you mean?"

She changed the subject and didn't repeat it.

I guess I shouldn't have done that because I missed out on the look I would have gotten when I said, "Sure....it will cost you $400, just like the real cake".

Honestly, what is it with people??? This from the same woman who called me 15 min before the appointment and said "I'm following the directions, but it's taking me to your HOUSE, not your business". I told her, it was ok, I worked out of my home. She seemed totally surprised by this. No matter that it does say on my website that I bake from home, and even explain what a "cottage foods bakery" is. icon_confused.gif

And I'm going to have to put on my website that tastings are NOT FOR KIDS!! My previous bride brought her kids! I asked her and her fiance if they wanted a glass of water and the son piped up that he did. He had to use my bathroom, and was rather crabby that I didn't give him a tasting plate of cake. (I made a point of only bringing out 2 plates).

Why do they feel it's ok to bring kids?? Maybe I'm not cut out for this business. Everything is bothering me this weekend!!

Thanks for letting me vent. And about 2 different subjects, no less!

13 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 14

I finally had to start sending people a confirmation email the week of the appointmetn that specifically says to limit the number of people they bring to the tasting to the bride, groom, and maybe one other person. I was getting people bringing their cousins and any other random person who felt like they wanted to eat free cake. It helps to say in advance, very clearly, that there's a limt, or that you don't want kids there, or whatever, but I'll bet people will still bring extras!

And I also had a guy ask if I would make up a "model" cake beforehand so that they could see what it would look like! What the heck are people thinking??? I just flat out told him no, I don't do that. Here's your sketch and enjoy it.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 14

HA HA HA HA!!!!...it does my heart good to know there are people like this everywhere...not just here.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 14

I do say on my website that it is limited to 4 people. I never thought I had to specifically say "NO KIDS". I mean, geez, I need to babysit too???

As though trying to make light conversation with people who are eating isn't torture enough. (Can you tell I'm not a fan of tastings?)

Seriously, I wanted to point to the picture she gave me and say "well, this is what it will look like......" but I didn't. I kinda admire my restraint. But I've been drinking rum and pineapple juice and am in a "mood". So I'm sure I'm much more impressed than I should be. I really need a nap.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 14

Hahahaha!

Thanks, I needed that.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 14

Cake probably would have made the kid behave. Did she have 3 other people wit hher so the kid made 5 instead of the four that you limit it to?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 14

Oh, and I don't disagree with you about no kids, they can be a distraction at times, I just don't get why no cake if he's alread ythere I guess?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I do say on my website that it is limited to 4 people. I never thought I had to specifically say "NO KIDS". I mean, geez, I need to babysit too???

I also limit to 4. I tell them, "that's all the chairs I have." In my first year, I had about a handful of folks who brought their whole neighborhood. The biggest one had EIGHT people! icon_surprised.gif

While most folks who have brought their kids have been very good parents and the kids have not been a problem, not ALL of them are so nice. So I've added a note on my FAQ page and the following paragraph is in the email I send to brides with the introductory package:

Since this appointment can be lengthy, we donât recommend bringing children as a catering facility is not a very entertaining place for them to try to sit quietly while mom/dad conduct a business meeting.

I think this wording also sends the message that this is a SERIOUS appointment.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:41am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

The biggest one had EIGHT people! icon_surprised.gif

That happened to me this weekend! Bride brought 7 people with, I did not have enough space for them all to sit, so the men all stood around while the ladies argued about what cake this poor bride should have. Took almost 90 min to decide. icon_surprised.gif

Dh said later if you need that many people to help you make decisions, you shouldnt be getting married icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:54am
post #10 of 14

I had eleven people show up once, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I tell them specifically when they book the consultation that if they are parents they need to organise a babysitter for that time period.

This is a business meeting, and I am the one in control. My commercial bakery can be a dangerous place, and my insurance doesn't cover other folks' kids in the kitchen. A few times people have shown up with their kids, and I always say 'We'll have to re-book the appointment, and it will cost $60' (that's what I charge when people don't show, or when they give less that 24 hours notice of cancellation).

When couples show up with kids in tow, after I have specifically said no kids, then they have lost their right to a free consultation/tasting.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 14

I made the mistake of giving cake samples to children before, thinking that they would behave a little better with a treat...some little darlings get nasty on sugar! These two started banging around my dining room, and the parents didn't do a darn thing about it - I was the one disciplining them! I finally had to ask dear daddy to take his two children outside to the car while we finished up the contract - never again!!

Indydebi - once again, I am going to use one of your clauses in my confirmation email - thank you for that tip! I have already cut the number down to the bride and groom (I will accomodate one more if asked) but I really like the part about the meeting being boring for children (let's face it, it is!).

I have been asked if I would host the whole bridal party for a FREE cake tasting AT MY HOUSE - the bride hadn't even signed a contract with me to do the cake yet...it was just to taste my cake and to see if they liked it! I asked her (perhaps a little sarcastically) if she wanted me to wear a maid's uniform while doing this, and she didn't think that would be necessary since it was my own home - that is when I hung up on her. icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 14

too funny! I don't care how many people they bring....they get the same amount of cake. if they want to divide a mini (and I mean mini) into 6 pieces....go ahead.
I agree though, the more people they bring, the longer it takes to make up there mind!!! grrr!

melody

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 14

hahahaha! I am glad to hear others are getting kids too. I have put not to bring the kids for pickups...some of them want to run all over the house while they are picking up their cake!!!

I had one couple who brought a friend in a wheelchair, who did not have use of thier hands and limbs. they fed him cake and asked him what he thought. I know it probably sounds mean, but it made me very uncomfortable. I didn't know what to do while they feeding this guy cake.
I guess they picked up on it, because they didnt book me!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:21am
post #14 of 14

When I get into having tastings, I will definitely have to remember the advice given here regarding how to handle kids! Too funny!!

We had a similar, but different situation happen when we were planning our wedding six years ago. We met the cake decorator at my in-law's house since it was about halfway between. We had our 5yo son with us since it was "grandma's house" and he could play. It worked out perfectly because the cake lady had to bring her little one (I think he was just about one or so). The cake lady was so apologetic and asked us ahead of time if it was okay to bring him, her hubby had a last minute something or other, etc. No problem. Our son, her son, and my MIL hung out together playing while we tasted cake. I guess not all situations work out this good though. My son is well-behaved and I know what situations I can bring him to.

We had to take him to the signing of our mortgage paperwork at 9pm at a closed bank! He amused himself for a few hours, made faces in the security cameras, wadded up paper and shot baskets in the garbage can, etc. I know I have a good kid though because I can drag him to the craft store and he won't complain. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%