How Do You Cool Your Cake?

Decorating By mouse13 Updated 19 Feb 2014 , 4:30pm by Sassyzan

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 16

I am about to take the cake out of the oven and was wondering how you cool your cakes? How long do you let them cool in the pan? Do you leave it on the stove or off? If you don't have a cooling rack how else would you cool your cake after it comes out of the pan? Any advise would be great. Thanks... icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 16

When I take them out, I leave them in the pan for approx. 5-10 min., depending on how busy I am. Then I usually invert them on the cakeboard, or paper towels if it is a small one. The other day, I had to make a cake, found out I was completely out of boards, circles, foam core, etc.....OMG!!! I had no choice but to leave the cake in the pans for approx. 2 hours while I went to the store to buy some. When I got back, needless to say, they were glued, and I do mean glued stiff, to the pan. They wouldn't budge in the least bit. I bit my lip, crossed my fingers, said a prayer.....put them back into the oven for approx. 7 min. Miracles of miracles...it actually popped right out of the pan.......then I opened my eyes back up.
Off the stove on the counter. I have never used cooling racks eithers cause it leaves marks on the bottom. Just my personal preference. I then let them cool for at least 3 hours to overnight prefereably.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 16

My cakes are trimmed (leveled) and out of the pan within 2 minutes.

They sit on the cooling rack until barely warm ... then I wrap in saran and put in the freezer until ready to work on them.

When they are on the cooling racks, I elevate the racks (turn 4 coffee cups upside down and set the rack on these). This gives the steam a place to escape. If you set the cooling rack right on the counter, the steam from the warm cake will collect under the cake and create a pool of water. This steam/water will go right back up into the cake, making it soggy, and it may cause your cake to stick to the cooling rack, making the cake a little gooey to the touch.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My cakes are trimmed (leveled) and out of the pan within 2 minutes.

They sit on the cooling rack until barely warm ... then I wrap in saran and put in the freezer until ready to work on them.

When they are on the cooling racks, I elevate the racks (turn 4 coffee cups upside down and set the rack on these). This gives the steam a place to escape. If you set the cooling rack right on the counter, the steam from the warm cake will collect under the cake and create a pool of water. This steam/water will go right back up into the cake, making it soggy, and it may cause your cake to stick to the cooling rack, making the cake a little gooey to the touch.

ditto

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 16

Another idea is to just turn on the burner and slide the cake pan around on the burner to heat it for only just a few seconds like I do a count of 5 or something. All you need to do is heat the fat on the bottom of the pan so it allows to cake to free itself.

Seven minutes in the oven is a lot of drying time y'know?

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 16

How do you get the cake out of the pan without breaking it?

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 16

I let my cakes cool in the pan for about 10 min. Put them on parchment paper and let them finish cooling.
Sometimes I let them cool overnight in the pan, I use a mix of flour, oil, and shortening for pan release, and they don't stick.

I've also not had the cake break if it cools enough.

HTH icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 16

I use stacking cooling racks. Saves counter space. I routinely stack four high.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 16

Leahs, the only stacking racks I've found are Pampered Chef and I'd love to have some that are larger. Can you recommend a good source for me?

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 16

I was taught that, you let them cool for about 15- 20 min. take it out of the pan. Spray the Cake pan & put Cake back in the cake pan. when you ready to ice them,They come out easy, I hope it helps. I even put in the syrup. Then, When I'm ready to use the Cake or Cakes. I flip in the circle board. I hope it helps.

Margie from CT thumbs_up.gif

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 16

I let my cakes cool in the pan for about 10 min. Put them on parchment paper and let them finish cooling.
Sometimes I let them cool overnight in the pan, I use a mix of flour, oil, and shortening for pan release, and they don't stick.

I've also not had the cake break if it cools enough.

HTH icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 16

Gosh, Indy, I'm not sure where I got the original ones. the last set, I picked up at Aldi. Those are about 16" long and 12" wide.

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 16

i have cooling racks that have sides on them so they stand up and they are not lying flat on counter. 10 minutes for me but i spray and i dust with flour. 

vanessarampersad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanessarampersad Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 16

AMy pans get sprayed with cooking spray then lined with parchment. My cakes cool for about 5-10 min in the pan then get flipped out on to cake boards or paper towel. Cooled until just barely warm then Saran wrapped and put in the freezer to firm up. I then trim and level my layers and soak with simple syrup to keep them moist as I usually mask in ganache meaning the cake will be sitting at room temp from that point. Hope this helps :)

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 16

Is there a way to speed up the cooling process? I forgot a cake and now I'm hurrying to get cooled, frosted and delivered. ack!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 4:30pm
post #16 of 16

AStick it in the freezer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%