Thomas The Train 3D Instructions Help

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 5:56am by KKC

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 5

I really would like to do this 3-D Thomas the Train cake. The only concern I have is that she doesn't use any cardboards for support. From looking at the pics I would think the cake would be at least 6 inches high in the back anyway. I need to transport this cake as well. I can't email Wendy because I don't have an email server on my computer so when I click on the email link it doesn't work. Can anyone tell me if and how to use supports for this cake? Thanks

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

4 replies
loriann40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriann40 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 5

I am also making this cake for my son's birthday this weekend - I am going to use support and dowels between the bottom and top layers - I also have to travel with it and I don't think it would arrive in one piece without support. Good luck!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 5

Wow Thomas is going to be very busy partying this weekend coz I too have to make this cake for my sons birthday on Friday. I have the Debbie Brown book this cake is from and she DOESNT use any dowels for support but I noticed in the link you posted they have used a dowel in the smoke stack. I don't plan to use dowels as I will be covering in rolled fondant ( sorry not sure what the US equivalent name is I know there are many different fondants used in the US) and I don't have to transport it so I am hoping the fondant will be enough to support it. Without rolled fondant I would probably use dowels. I know this is not much help sorry.
AnneMarie

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 5

hi guys i have made this cake last septenber for my thoms the cank (as he adoringly calls him!) obsessed son. I did not need any card for suppot just make sure you ise a very heavy mud cake(the desity of the cake directly relates to how well you can stack with out support) i stacked up three rectangle sections cut from a slab cake and iced with choc ganache as this sets and the layers will not move. then i carved out the train body then added smakoe stacks using a dowel in it to support the thin tall shape. I caovered in fondant so it is then very sturdy! it should be on my pics and if anyone has any questions just pm me and i'll try to answer as fast and best as possible! have fun caking girls!!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:56am
post #5 of 5

How about using a 1 inch foam board and gently put some sharpened dowels thru the cake, board and foam and kinda disguise the foam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%