I Am So P****d!!!! Why Does This Happen To Me??!!

Decorating By SweetAsLemmons Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 3:58am by Danielle111

SweetAsLemmons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAsLemmons Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:17am
post #1 of 5

OK, I'm just feeling a little upset, and heres why.

Whenever I make fondant cakes at home, they turn out beautiful. Ok... beautiful is to cocky of a word. They look decent. Lately when I make them at my new job, they look HORRIBLE. I dont know if its the stuff I use there (pettinice) or the technique, or even ME and my karma, but I need to know what gives! I usually use MMF and have no problems with cracking, tearing or bumps.

Here is my question. Why does the fondant sag? It always sags, which leads to cracking and other deformities.

I end up having to trim the excess fondant, or it looks weird. Its like the buttercream cant hold the weight of the fondant or it gets way to soft and squishy. I use the ALL Crisco buttercream, which is bad enough as it is, but it is never stable or firm enough.
Someone please help. Everytime my boss asks me why the cakes look so bad, I have no response to give. icon_sad.gif I feel so dumb telling her "I have no idea why that happens".

4 replies
gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #2 of 5

Sorry I cannot help you with this, hopefully some-else can.

I'm a novice at this so excuse my question, could you boss check in with you a few times on the next cake to see if the stuff you are using is off, or I dont know what.

The cakes you have posted on CC are beautiful.

Good Luck on the next one.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

Maybe you're putting too much buttercream on the cake, then the fondant is smushing it. Try it with less buttercream and see if that helps. You might also want to try rolling the fondant out thinner if you're putting it on thick now. If it's too heavy it will pull itself down, but watch out, because if it's to think it will tear!

I don't use MMF, but if it behaves differently than fondant you might just need practice...Maybe you could try to cover a few practice cakes at work and see if it helps you to get the hang of it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #4 of 5

This is going to sound WAY out there, but it might have to do with the humidity in the air in the bakery. The reason I'm thinking that is that I moved from a place with a very good air conditioner to one where the air conditioner barely works at all (the AC has a lot to do with taking the moisture out of the air, a good working AC will take out gallons a day). In the new house, my fondant wouldn't work well at all. I had to buy a dehumidifier which I run for a day before I do cake stuff. I just hadn't known how much difference it makes.

Does anyone else at your work work with fondant? Do they have any trouble with it, or possibly some advice to make it work better for you? I looked at your photos and you have the skills, you just have to figure out what's different between work and home.

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:58am
post #5 of 5

Commercially made fondants definitely behave differently than MMF (MMF is more elastic, and can hold up better over more buttercream). A little less buttercream and rolling your fondant out a little thicker may help, and maybe try some practice cakes at home with Pettinice. Also, when you cover your cakes, try gently pushing in and up (at the same time) when you're working the sides as opposed to pulling down - it takes a little longer, but it will also help keep your fondant from tearing. The sagging, I believe may be fomr the moisture content in your buttercream. If you're not using a hi-ratio shortening, moisture will leech out of your buttercream over time, causing fondant and other deccorations to become soggy and sag. See if they'll let you use a hi-ratio shortening (Alpine or Sweetex) so that it will hold together and give you a better base. Humidity also plays a big role in any sugar medium, so if that's the problem, can you maybe talk to your boss to see if he/she can bring in an AC unit to keep the room coooler?

I hope this helps, and I agree with everyone else - your cakes are great and you have the skills -- don't let this little setback get you down! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%