Buttercream...technical Question

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm by TexasSugar

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 8

While I was at the cake decorating store purchasing pre-made buttercream so I can use for my practice dummie at home, I was told by the store clerk that I should also consider purchasing Glucose & Glycerine and put that in the store bought BC. I bought it but I don't know why you would add glucose and glycerine to bc and how much of each do you put in it icon_confused.gif

Any help is grealt appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Nicolle711 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #2 of 8

bump icon_smile.gif

Nicolle711 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #3 of 8

bump icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 8

Not a clue. Not familiar with that one.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:00am
post #5 of 8

Those two ingredients will give the icing shine and elestitity(sp??).
It will depend on the pre-made recipe as to how much you would use. Glucose is just a thick sugar so it will thin the icing & make it a bit shiny-er. You will need to 'play it by ear'.....add small amounts until you think it is the right consistency.
It sounds to me like the store was just trying to boost their sales icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:03am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It will depend on the pre-made recipe as to how much you would use. Glucose is just a thick sugar so it will sweeten, thin & make it a bit shiny-er. You will need to 'play it by ear'.....add small amounts until you think it is the right consistency.
It sounds to me like the store was just trying to boost their sales icon_sad.gif

Nicolle711 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8

Yeah, it looks to me they wanted to upsell and I was taken icon_mad.gif

I wish I knew how much of what I should but in this buttercream so I can at least use it and not feel like I got ripped off icon_confused.gif

But thank you for advise. I will have to play around with it to see what kind of results I will get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It will depend on the pre-made recipe as to how much you would use. Glucose is just a thick sugar so it will thin the icing & make it a bit shiny-er. You will need to 'play it by ear'.....add small amounts until you think it is the right consistency.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 8

I think I would call them and ask them.

Or since glucose and glycerine are in homemade fondant you could try out a new recipes. icon_smile.gif

Glycerine can also be used to thin out those icing colors that have gotten thick and gloopy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%