Question Regarding Residential Kitchen Licensure In Ca

Business By Desicakes Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm by Desicakes

Desicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Desicakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all,

I currently own an event services business and would like to expand to include cakes. My friends and family have been urging me to add cakes since it is a hobby of mine, but I've been reluctant as the requirements are not entirely clear.

While I will continue to research whether or not a home occupation food business is allowed here in Southern California, I'm curious to know what the implications are for conducting the business without this licensure? Is licensure only required for commercial or larger scale output of cakes? My business is very part time--as would be the cakes--as I have a full time career in another field. I can't imagine that I would do more than even one cake per month and my business is largely based on referrals from friends and family at this time as well.

Obviously I prefer to obtain a license as this will only add credibility to my business. If for some reason that's not a viable option then it would be helpful to consider what the risks or consequences may be if I were to try to run a small scale business without one.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 4

I think, especially in CA, licensing is huge a huge issue, and home baking for a business is not an option. If you're selling cake, even one cake, officially "they" will tell you, you can't do it from home, ever. Period.

Check into it. I believe the risks are huge, and in this sue-happy world, not worth it.

janelovesher3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelovesher3 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 4

and you legally cannot do any cooking out of your home for others (for sale). I know it is cost prohibitive and really hard to find but you should have your commercial kitchen space reserved. It is a long shot, but who wants to be shut down over a technicality? It's best for everyone (at least here in CA where the law sharks circle constantly) to be a licensed business with a commercial kitchen and a basic $1M business insurance policy. Just IMO.

BTW...I'm in the Sacramento area. Check our CalGold website for your local business'll help you navigate all the gov't redtape! Good luck!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Desicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Desicakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 4

This is very helpful information. I appreciate the responses. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%