Brain Block.....i Need Help! I Need A "sugar Web"

Decorating By debo_04 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm by debo_04

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:53am
post #1 of 11

I don't know that I ever knew what this was called, but it's 5:47 in the morning and I've been up since 4:00 tryng to think of what this could be called so I could ask how to do it.
What I want is to make a very shallow "dome" of hardened sugar swirls......almost like a web or a nest. Just like pouring melted sugar in thin random swirls to let it harden and perch atop a cake............I have seen it done before, but so help me I can't think of a better way to describe it. I've looked in the galleries for "sugar web" and "sugar nest" and also "sugar bowl" and do not see a thing so there must be a term for I'm just not aware of.

10 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:10am
post #2 of 11

I'm not a "sugar" person, but I have seen this done , and I think if you look up SPUN SUGAR on Google, you will probably come up with your answer.......

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:11am
post #3 of 11

Do you mean something like whats on this page?
http://candy.about.com/od/sugarcandy/ss/spun_sugar_sbs.htm
If so it is pretty easy, I have done it before. The main part is making sure the sugar is at the right temp. Good Luck.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:19am
post #4 of 11

Yeah, just spun sugar. You use the back of a metal ladle for the form.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:25am
post #5 of 11

I can picture EXACTLY what you mean...but I don't know a 'proper' name, either. grrrr...I've done a few searches for it, but to no avail (I tried sugar carriage, sugar balloon, candy balloon, candy carriage).

I have seen it done with Royal Icing using a balloon (inflated to desired size) sprayed lighlty with Pam. It's very time consuming, but gorgeous.

Perhaps take a metal or ceramic bowl the desired size and pour the strins of hot sugar over it? Do you need it for today???

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:33am
post #6 of 11

Found a recipe icon_biggrin.gif :

For CARAMELIZED SUGAR:

4 to 5 cups sugar
1 to 1 1/4 cups corn syrup
1 to 1 1/4 cups water

CARAMELIZED SUGAR AND ASSEMBLY:

Combine 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup corn syrup and 1/4 cup water in heavy medium saucepan.
Boil without stirring until mixture turns amber in color, brushing down any crystals that form on sides of pan with moist pastry brush, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and place on cold surface to stop cooking.
Using tongs, carefully dip cream puff into caramel and place around base of cone. Repeat dipping and placing puffs on cone's surface fitting puffs evenly onto sides. forming concentric circles until caramel is used.
If caramel begins to harden, reheat briefly over medium heat to liquefy.
LL

debo_04 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:47am
post #7 of 11

SPUN SUGAR.......how hard was that??? LOL
mushbug9, that is along the lines of what I want, but what I have pictured is not quite as thin......and Oh my goodness, if that is what it takes to make it I'll figure something else out.....I would NEVER get my kitchen clean!!
lizamlin, thanks so much for the recipe, I don't need it today, just woke up early thiking "cake" and couldn't get this out of my head.
Leahs, what do I cover the ladel with? Won't the sugar stick to the ladel? Do I just use oil? I think I'll try it on the top of a pie pan, that way it should fit on top of a cake if it this works.
lizamlin, I can't get to the picture...aarrgghh, but I really do appreciate you trying! Was it a google search? I'll just type that pic name in and see if I can see it there.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 11

Croquembouche is the recipe that uses the spun sugar. Martha Stewart has some good instructions on her website. It's traditionally used in French wedding cakes. I would take a metal whisk, cut off the bottom rounded parts of the tine and fling the sugar with that, or use a fork. I wouldn't use oil or anything cause the sugar wouldn't stick at all. Spread newspapers on the floor!
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.e28a2ad6d3341f8836eb9e2bd373a0a0?vgnextoid=42cacf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&autonomy_kw=croquembouche

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 11

debo, from what I understand this stuff is VERY touchy.... you are suppose to serve it as soon as possible so that heat or humidity does not get to it and cause it to melt or disfigure......

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 11

A light coating of oil on the ladle is OK. And when I say light, I mean barely there. When the sugar hardens it really should pop off. That's the kind of stuff we did frequently in culinary school. Like, Oh Ive got 20 minutes and need a garnish that's a "wow". But then we were trained in doing spun sugar. And had help cleaning up the kitchen.

debo_04 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 11

Malakin, loved the Martha stuff, I wish I had more time in the day to try all of this, but I have two five year olds today! I'll try the simple one first.
oohh, grama_j, so glad you mentioned that, I live in Texas and it is REALLY hot and Humid! I should test this before I make a cake to take to work and have it turn to mush before it gets there!
Thanks Leahs, I'll be careful with the oil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%