German Chocolate - Not German

Decorating By indydebi Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm by jennifer7777

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_chocolate_cake

I know this is almost common knowledge, but ......

Caught about half of the story last night on Food Channel that "German Chocolate Cake" is not German at all (something that has been shared a lot on here). Since I didn't get to see the whole story, I looked it up and found the above link.

German CHocolate Cake is not called "german" because it's german. Samuel German invented Baker's Sweet Chocolate, which was used in the recipe that a Dallas housewife submitted in 1957 to a magazine contest.

Just sharing in case anyone was interested ...

11 replies
mimi2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi2004 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 12

Hmmm. Always wondered why it was called German Chocolate icon_smile.gif Thanks for sharing thumbs_up.gif

Mimi

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 12

Well, heck, that's my favorite cake...ok next to carrot cake and my ice water cake, but my German ancestors are going to be sorely disappointedicon_smile.gif

Paula

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 12

I had some friend's on another board elect to make a better German's chocolate cake with chichi chocolate. I tried to explain that they could indeed make a better chocolate cake but they couldn't call it German chocolate if they didn't use German chocolate.

It's like making carrot cake with turnips or parsnips--it's really not carrot cake anymore.

I love the story of German's chocolate Cake though.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I tried to explain that they could indeed make a better chocolate cake but they couldn't call it German chocolate if they didn't use German chocolate.

Well I would beg to differ...because I use semi-sweet chocolate for my "German Choc. Cake" and have yet to change the name to "Semi-Sweet Choc. Cake". I think what also distinctively makes a cake "German Choc." is the coconut-pecan/walnut filling.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 12

you know, i like German Chocolate cake.... but i REALLy like the coconut pecan frosting that goes with it! icon_wink.gif YUMMY!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

Quote:

I tried to explain that they could indeed make a better chocolate cake but they couldn't call it German chocolate if they didn't use German chocolate.

Well I would beg to differ...because I use semi-sweet chocolate for my "German Choc. Cake" and have yet to change the name to "Semi-Sweet Choc. Cake". I think what also distinctively makes a cake "German Choc." is the coconut-pecan/walnut filling.

We are all welcome to call telephone poles pretzels if we want but did you not read the story regarding the origin of this cake?

If we are into truth in advertising then a cake made with semi-sweet chocolate is a probably a dynamite chocolate cake with coconut pecan filling. It ain't a German chocolate cake.

Huff and puff and blow my house down.

jennifer7777 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:14am
post #8 of 12

Darnit k8memphis!...just let me keep huffin' and puffin'...but I won't blow your house down. icon_wink.gif

But seriously, I knew the story of German Choc. before this thread. Do you know one of the reasons I haven't used that choc. is because sometimes my store doesn't carry it. Oh well, after I've huffed and puffed enough I just might create a creative new name for my cake...leaving out the "German".

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 12

(((hug)))

"Dynamite Chocolate Cake" has already been suggested. icon_lol.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 12

At the store bakery where I work they use a dark chocolate cake with the coconut icing and call it german. I think that the "german" chocolate that makes the cake taste good cause it isn't deep chocolate to take away from the icing.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 12

you could put german chocolate, dark chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate, i don't care.... just give me the frosting! icon_wink.gif I buy 2 containers when i plan on making a GC cake or my italian cake because i'll end up eating the entire container before i can bake them! LOL

jennifer7777 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

(((hug)))

"Dynamite Chocolate Cake" has already been suggested. icon_lol.gif

Thank you, darlin' thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%