Chocolate Cake Vs. Devil's Food

Decorating By LSW Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm by LSW

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 7

I had a man come into the bakery where I work and asked for a devil's food cake. I chose a chocolate cake and he said "no", that wasn't a devil's food cake. He mentioned the difference being the moistness and the richness of the chocolate content. Is there a difference? I've always thought they were the same!

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 7

wanna lay odds on if you put two of each in front of him, he couldn't pick which was which? Or my favorite ... put two of the SAME in front of him and watch him say, "Oh, the first one is definitely different!" icon_lol.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 7

Actually there is a difference... devil's food cake is richer as it usually uses both cocoa and melted chocolate. Many recipes (such as the one I use) also use buttermilk. It's actually similar in recipe to a red velvet except, as I just mentioned, the additional chocolate.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 7

I may be wrong.....but doesn't devils food cake have a very small hint of red in the color?

MelenaPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelenaPrincess Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 7

Devils Food cake is my preference. I think it has a darker color and it is certainly more moist, IMO.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

doesn't devils food cake have a very small hint of red in the color

You are right! But it's not from food coloring. The baking soda in the recipe reacts with the cocoa powder and during baking it takes on that slightly reddish color.

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I even got the bakery manager to talk with him and she was as confused as me! He wound up putting the chocolate cake back and walked away with a silly grin on his face. Indydebi, I wish I could've done that taste test using just the chocolate cake, bet he would'nt have known the difference! Guess he showed us!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%