Everyone Hates My Buttercream

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm by sugarcheryl

ashley_w_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley_w_101 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:51am
post #31 of 39

Tootall,
I too have really warm hands; my body can be cool, but my hands are always warm. I'm not sure about IMBC because I have never made it, but I often have trouble with my buttercream becoming too soft while I am piping. Sometimes I will wear decorators gloves, and that helps a lot. Although they are not very comforatable to wear wile decorating, maybe you could see if they would work while you are using IMBC.

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #32 of 39

I've read that you can fill two decorating bags and just alternate. You really have to try this recipe. It is too yummy thumbs_up.gif

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #33 of 39

ashley_w,

Hey! My name's Ashley, too! icon_biggrin.gif Great name icon_wink.gif Yeah, I'm not a fan of using gloves while I work, but I would like to try the IMBC at least once. I don't have a candy thermometer (I've always been scared of recipes that you have to watch the temp on ever since I tried to make some fudge like that yeeeaaarrrsss ago... Had to throw the pan away icon_lol.gif Yeah... it was that bad!) so I'll probably try one like the Whimsical recipe. I think my hubby would really like it, since he's not a huge fan of icing.

nicoletyler7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoletyler7 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:55pm
post #34 of 39

I was once told that when using butter in an icing recipe. It will effect the icing color when you color it. It can make it have a yellow tint to it. Is this true and if so what can you do to work with that. I would like to try out the smbc but I want to clear up this question before I do. Thanks.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoletyler7

I was once told that when using butter in an icing recipe. It will effect the icing color when you color it. It can make it have a yellow tint to it. Is this true and if so what can you do to work with that. I would like to try out the smbc but I want to clear up this question before I do. Thanks.

Teeny, teeny (like the tip of a toothpick teeny!) spot of violet or royal blue colouring beaten into all butter icings will help cancel out yellow tones. Just keep adding until it's white enough for you. HTH!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

I don't have a candy thermometer (I've always been scared of recipes that you have to watch the temp on ever since I tried to make some fudge like that yeeeaaarrrsss ago...

I believe (but I could be TOTALLY wrong here!) that the IMBC sugar syrup has to reach 248-250 in order to ensure that you have removed just the right amount of liquid from your dissolved sugar...i.e. your syrup is appropriately thick, so you do need a thermometer to use that method (again, please anyone, whack me with a stick if I'm off base). However if you do the SMBC method, you do NOT have to reach the required temp (which is only 160) except for food safety reasons...so....if you don't have a thermometer, you may want to just try SMBC and use powdered or pasteurized egg whites. Here's the thread on SMBC http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=594605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

But do note that if you have a digital probe thermometer, that works fine, I don't even use my candy thermometer any more since purchasing a probe (which I had initially bought to get the correct temp on my turkey!) Mine has an alarm you can set to the desired temp, so when you reach the temp it beeps at you. Totally eliminates the hassle of constantly checking and worrying that you'll forget to look at your thermometer at a key moment and destroy what you're cooking.

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:50am
post #37 of 39

YouTube - 1:2:3 Swiss Meringue Buttercream!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:33am
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

YouTube - 1:2:3 Swiss Meringue Buttercream!

Thanks for that link! Now that I've seen it I can't wait to try it icon_smile.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #39 of 39

I just want to tell you Ashley and everyone else. I to hated to use the thermometer but I learned in school and my teacher was great. I use smbc and he taught us that when you heat up the egg white and sugar use your index finger and if it is to hot to your finger then you are at the right temp. I've used this and my buttercream comes out great all the time. Simple receipe. 8 oz egg white 16 oz sugar 24 oz butter always that ratio I will double it then add my flavor. I cut up my butter and add it in once the egg white and sugar has whipped into the meringue and it needs to be cool so it doesn't melt the butter. And while you are piping especially in the warmer month or if your hands hold more heat just put in the fridge for a few minutes. I hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%