Edible Images?

Decorating By Dana8 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 12:18am by tiggy2

Dana8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana8 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 8

Could I just buy edible paper and edible ink and use my own printer at home, its a Hp printer? Thanks Dana

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 8

No... you need a dedicated printer for edible images otherwise you risk cross-contamination from the non-edible ink residue left on your home printer. Also I think edible cartridges are only available for Canon and Epson printers at the moment (as far as I have seen anyway).

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 8

I concidered buying one until the dealer told me that if I don't print at least 10 edible images a week it will get dried & clogged up and be a problem everytime I need to use it. So, now I just have a friend who owns one print them.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 8

the manuf. told me I could store my ink cartridges in a zip lock bag and that would prolong the life

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasweetthing

I concidered buying one until the dealer told me that if I don't print at least 10 edible images a week it will get dried & clogged up and be a problem everytime I need to use it. So, now I just have a friend who owns one print them.

I have an epson and it sits for months without being used and it has "never" clogged on me (knock on wood). I have read numerous threads about the canon [rinters clogging if not used weekly though.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 8

I second that on the Epson. No clogs. I might do a photo every few weeks to a month. I also do not keep it anywhere near the baking action. It is in a separate area well away from airbrush colors, hot ovens and spray pan release.

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 8

Okay...I am really thinking of getting an epson now!!! Yay, no more paying someone to make them. Thanks for the info.

"Cakequeen50" ...I don't understand this part..." I also do not keep it anywhere near the baking action. It is in a separate area well away from airbrush color, hot ovens and spray pan release."

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:18am
post #8 of 8

I think she is saying by doing this there is no chance for spray, heat, paint or anything else to get into it and cause problems. Basically, she keeps it in a clean environment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%