Help! Buttercream Sweating!!

Decorating By mc Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 12:41pm by missmeg

mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mc Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 10

I have made in the past buttercream half crisco, half butter without problems (other than it is not smooth because of air bubbles), but last night I made a big batch of chocolate buttercream for a wedding cake and decided to use powder milk instead of water, and corn syrop. I heard that it helps to smooth the icing. However, once on the cake the icing was sweating, it looked greasy. On the other hand, it was easier to smooth out. I have to ice another cake tonight and still have a lot of icing left over. I don´t want to get rid of it because that is a lot of materials..., but I don´t know what to do. Can I fix it? Any ideas of the problem? Could it be the powder milk or the corn syrop? If I make another batch without those ingredients and mix it together, could it help? Sorry for all the questions. I don´t know what to do icon_cry.gif Any help will be greatly appreciated!

9 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:27am
post #2 of 10

I don't know how much help I will be here but I made a batch of BC half butter half crisco and mine looked the same way. I used water I think. It was really humid that day though so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

mc Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 10

I tried another batch last night without the corn syrop and it was much better. It wasn't completely matte, but it didn't shine as the other one. And I was able to smooth it out pretty well, not perfect but the best I have ever been able to do it. I think the powder milk somehow helps with this... icon_confused.gif However, it wasn't crusting much. My husband also thought that the humidity might have something to do with it. It was somewhat humid, but I wouldn't say it was super humid!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 10

I wonder if the chocolate is making it shiny looking?

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 10

Could it be the new trans fat free Crisco? How long ago did you make this without problems? There is a 0 trans fat Crisco BC recipe here. You might take a look at it.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 10

The same thing happened to me when I made my four tier cake with the blue flowers. I used the wilton recipe. The cake was so shiny and sweating. I used water too. But now I use Gourmetcakes crusting buttercream recipe from this site. I love it!!

mc Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 10

Well, I am not sure that the chocolate is the problem, I have made chocolate buttercream before without problems, but maybe the new Crisco has something to do with it. Thanks for the tip, I will try gourmetcakes' recipe. I do think that corn syrop and Crisco don't go well together. I believe that combination was the big factor on the shiny result. I wish I could have access to the hi-ratio shortening everyone talks about. I haven't been able to find it in my city. One day... Thank you everyone for your feedback!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 10

I have embraced the belief in the past year when Crisco went to ZTF that you MUST use a milk-based liquid when making bc. Water just doesn't cut it.

Personally I've decided that sugarshack's use of warmed coffee creamer is the best liquid to use.

I use the powdered coffee creamer, and mix it in equal measurements with hot water. Mixes smoothly with the bc icon_smile.gif.

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:03am
post #9 of 10

Does using a milk-based liquid change the shelf life of the icing? Would it need to be refrigerated? I have also had buttercream sweating issues, but have been too paranoid of using milk in buttercream that isn't refrigerated icon_confused.gif
Thanks!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:41pm
post #10 of 10

The coffee creamer is "non-dairy" and is shelf-stable. No need to refridgerate. There are many, many posts here on CC discussing how the small amount of milk used in bc doesn't compromise the shelf-stability of the final product. Even when I used 2% milk in my bc, I never refridgerated, and it was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%