Stupid Question....what Is A Half Sheet Pan??

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 12:48am by chellebell70

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 6

And why does it seem like everyone has a different answer. So far, most of what I have done has been out of rounds and some square, but my Confetti Cakes book calls for 3 half sheet cakes to carve this cake out of. Does she mean the half sheet that is only like an inch tall, or the half sheet that is 2 inches tall. B/c depending on the store, I have been led to both when asking for a half sheet pan. Plus, the cake in the Confetti Cakes book is to feed 25-30. Doesn't 3 half sheet cakes (even carved) seem like alot to feed 25-30 people?

Why is this so confusing to me?

icon_redface.gif

5 replies
chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 6

My Wilton 1/2 sheet pan is 12x18x2. It will serve 54 (2x2 slices 2" thick)

This forum may be helpful to you:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5968335#5968335

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 6

Hi! I have Confetti Cake book and the sheet cake pan that she uses is 1" high and I believe it is 12x18. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

And why does it seem like everyone has a different answer. So far, most of what I have done has been out of rounds and some square, but my Confetti Cakes book calls for 3 half sheet cakes to carve this cake out of. Does she mean the half sheet that is only like an inch tall, or the half sheet that is 2 inches tall. B/c depending on the store, I have been led to both when asking for a half sheet pan. Plus, the cake in the Confetti Cakes book is to feed 25-30. Doesn't 3 half sheet cakes (even carved) seem like alot to feed 25-30 people?

Why is this so confusing to me?

icon_redface.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:27am
post #4 of 6

There have been many, many different posts on this subject; I sure wish I had JanH's ability to find them!!
Reasearch this subject and find this term started **way** back when bakers did not have special cake pans. They used the super big tray to bake everything. I don't remember the exact measurements any more but you will find if you go back to that that a so called 1/2 sheet should be 12x16x2.
The other thing to do is match the pan/cake to what is sold as a 1/2 sheet cake board and box. You will quickly find a 12x16 cake fits the board *much* better than a 12x18. the 12x16 cake gives you room for icing *and* a border whereas there is NO room for a border on a 12x18 if it is on a standard 1/2 sheet board. Yes, 'oversize 1/2's' can be purchased but then it won't fit in a cake box! icon_sad.gif
Lastly, a 12x16x2 pan will hold exactly 2 cake mix batters and rise perfectly to the top -- maybe a bit over so you can pass a cake leveler over the topicon_smile.gif

Everyone has a difference of opinion of how much a certain size will serve. If you use the 'industry standard' of a 2x2x2 piece OR 1x2x4 you can figure each size/shape cake yourself. Also another way to figure servings is that one gets 15-20 servings from each cake mix used.
Hope that helps you understandicon_smile.gif

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:48am
post #5 of 6

My "half sheet" is the 12 x 18. 48 servings. 3 cake mixes - that way I have a nice thick cake and plenty of room to level if need be!

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:48am
post #6 of 6

My "half sheet" is the 12 x 18. 48 servings. 3 cake mixes - that way I have a nice thick cake and plenty of room to level if need be!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%