First Time Using Satin Ice

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 1:46am by cakelady15

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 17

AND I LOVED IT!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, but I just had to share. I have heard a lot of rave about Satin Ice but could only find it online. I wanted to try it out first before purchasing online and I finally found a place that sells it locally! So I bought my first small container this past weekend and tried it out last night and it felt so smooth and worked out beautifully! Seriously, a big difference from Wilton Fondant thumbs_up.gif

16 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 17

Congrats on finding something that works well for you!

Will you let me know where in NYC you found a Satin Ice seller. I usually order online and would love to just pick up on the way home from work.

Thanks.

Nicolle711 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 17

Hi!

Sure, I found the Satin Ice at Broadway Panhandler

http://www.broadwaypanhandler.com/broadway/

They only have the small bucket (5lbs?). I asked if they order the larger ones and they said no but I just picked it up to try it without having to invest in shipping.

BTW, The store is dangerous! icon_surprised.gif I walked in because I was looking for an apron...$150 later I was in kitchen gadget heaven icon_lol.gif

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 17

Nice to hear good feedback on it. I'm going to buy some for the first time this week as well icon_biggrin.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a dangerous store thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolle711

Hi!

Sure, I found the Satin Ice at Broadway Panhandler

http://www.broadwaypanhandler.com/broadway/

They only have the small bucket (5lbs?). I asked if they order the larger ones and they said no but I just picked it up to try it without having to invest in shipping.

BTW, The store is dangerous! icon_surprised.gif I walked in because I was looking for an apron...$150 later I was in kitchen gadget heaven icon_lol.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 17

Oh... I am one who can't stand SI. I suppose I am just so used to the ease of MMF and I love that it stays soft--not chewy and dry--on the cake.

I just used chocolate SI again because I hate trying to make dark brown MMF, but the more I tried to soften it in the micro the crumblier it became--even mixed with MMF. I had to work super fast to get it on the cake without cracks, even after adding lots of Crisco and glycerine, and I still had to rub Crisco over the outside of it once applied.

I've also tried red and black and they just dry too fast, too hard, and too matte for my taste.

Ever since I discovered a way to make MMF taste amazing and work well I haven't looked back (adding popcorn salt, using LoRann butter flavor, and adding glycerine).

Nicolle711 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 17

MacsMom, hi!

What is MMF? It is typed all over the forum and I haven't been able to figure out what that is icon_redface.gif

And how do you make MMF work well with you and taste as good as you say??? Very curious to know icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 17

MMF = Marshmallow fondant

Here is the recipe I came up with that is perfect and tastes like BC (modified Rhonda's recipe):

Stacie's MMF:
16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet-Puffed. I use Wal Mart brand)
2 T water
**Grease a micro-safe bowl, add MMs, sprinkle with water, melt 1 minute, stir**
add
1 T glycerine
1 t popcorn salt (or grind regular salt in a coffee grinder - you'll get crystals in your finished MMF if you don't)
1 dram LoRann butter flavor
Food coloring, if using
**stir**
add
2 lbs powdered sugar (again, store brands tend to be better for MMF - more cornstarch?)

Start by stirring in 1/2 c of PS to absorb moisture before dumping in more to help avoid clumps. Each time you add PS make you you stir it well so that it's well absorbed before adding more. When you are down to the last 1/3 of the bag, dump it in and knead with your greased hands. Form a ball and wrap with plastic wrap to rest at least 4 hours. Some say to coat the ball with shortening before wrapping, but if you'll be using it the next day you don't have to.

To re-soften it, place it in the micro at 10 second intervals and knead. (If you're softening a whole batch, start with 40 seconds. The smaller the amount of MMF the less time in the micro). If it is too sticky which can happen if it's humid, knead in cornstarch a little at a time.

Nicolle711 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

icon_surprised.gif of course!!! Now that makes sense, icon_lol.gif

Thank you so much for the recipe! I am definitely going to try it out when I have a small b-day cake to do. How much MMF icon_biggrin.gif (feel so proud of using the word now icon_razz.gif ) do you get out of this recipe?

Thanks again!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 17

Satin Ice all the way for me, Or Pettinice, it is never dry for me, I don't waste my time with MMF, it is never consistant for me, and it's too dry or crumbly for me. And since I have a day job it is one less thing for me to make when decorating cakes, and it is consistantly good. Don't get me wrong I would love to save the money and just make MMF but it is never consistant for me and I rather spend my time getting my SMBC just right. Most professional Bakers like Duff, Elise Struss and Colette Peters buy their fondant ready made.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 17

I too love my Satin Ice!

I think that taste is okay, too heavy for me, but it's not bad. I just use fondant for accents and it's usually tossed so no one is eating alot.

But at the price you can't beat it!! thumbs_up.gif I get it from DecoPac- 5lb for $13 and free shipping so I just love it!!! icon_smile.gif

Glad it worked so well for you!!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 17

FREE SHIPPING!!!! icon_surprised.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

I too love my Satin Ice!

I think that taste is okay, too heavy for me, but it's not bad. I just use fondant for accents and it's usually tossed so no one is eating alot.

But at the price you can't beat it!! thumbs_up.gif I get it from DecoPac- 5lb for $13 and free shipping so I just love it!!! icon_smile.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 17

Yep! They offer free shipping on orders of $75, so I order a couple buckets of fondant, some square cake boards, and a goodie or two and I got free shipping!

By the way, the square board prices are great!!!

Nicolle711 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #14 of 17

I SECOND THAT!!! icon_surprised.gif I got mine at the store for $12.99 plus ny tax. If I can get it online for about the same price and free shipping....LOVELY I say thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

FREE SHIPPING!!!! icon_surprised.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

I too love my Satin Ice!

MacsMom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolle711

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

icon_surprised.gif of course!!! Now that makes sense, icon_lol.gif

Thank you so much for the recipe! I am definitely going to try it out when I have a small b-day cake to do. How much MMF icon_biggrin.gif (feel so proud of using the word now icon_razz.gif ) do you get out of this recipe?

Thanks again!

I've never weighed it, but it covers a 10" cake plus a 6" cake. Four batches covered a 12", 10", 7", 4" two 6" cakes and there was enough left over to cover another 6" (recently used for my seashell anniversary cake in my photos).

One batch costs maybe $5.

If you stick with the same brand for your MM's and PS for every batch and mcirowave it for the same amount of time, it should come out consistent every time. Sometimes humidity requires more PS and the more food color you use you will need to add a little PS. But once you make it a few times you get the right "feel" for it and it just becomes so simple you'll wonder why people spend money on pre-made fondant (except trying to make black, brown and red! That is frustrating.)

For black and brown my next trial will be chocolate MMF, where you just add 1 oz of melted semi-sweet chocolate and 1 to 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the melted MMs. (I'll add balck food color, obviously, for black MMF)

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:22am
post #16 of 17

I too love Satin Ice. My family and friends are not big fondant eaters, and they like it also.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:46am
post #17 of 17

I just tried Satin Ice for the first time this week also. I think it tastes very good. Definitely way better than Wilton fondant. I thought it was easier to work with too, not as dry. The store I buy mine from sells it for $11.99, but I went to the Global Sugar Art website that is advertised on here and they sell the same size for $7.99. I didn't check on the shipping though but the price seemed good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%