Help! Filling Questions

Decorating By cowdex Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 4:46am by tastyart

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:03am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I have a 3 tier, 2 layer cake (8, 10, 12) for next Saturday. I made the white cake last week, it's in the freezer.
I was planning on pineapple-coconut, banana and orange-lemon fillings. It is for a good friends 50th birthday and they wanted 'tropical' flavors - it's a luau.
Now I find out I will be out of town next Wed-Fri night.
Can I freeze the fillings in the cakes or will I just not get any sleep Friday night?
Does anyone have any great filling recipes that are proven to work being frozen?
My Aunt (in her 80's 5 hours ago from me) is having heart surgery Thursday and I have to be there. The only other relative she has is my sister who has a 1 year old.
On top of it all the reason I'm up at 3am writing this...my boyfriend gets a pacemaker in about 6 hours and I can't sleep!
Thanks!

4 replies
kalida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalida Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 5

icon_confused.gif I have no idea if you can freeze the filling? I would think the texture will change. * BUMP*
P.S. I hope all goes well with your loved ones.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #3 of 5

That's what I'm afraid of....I guess I will learn the hard way - it's for free so nothing really lost and I'm sure it WILL be eaten!
Thanks - boyfriend is resting in the hospital - all went well - should come home in the morning!
Thanks for replying!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:53am
post #4 of 5

I've never tried it, but I (like kalida) think the texture of the filling would change, or that the moisture in the defrosting process would affect the cake and/or filling as well. BUT, I never tried it, so if someone has tried it successfully, I hope they find your post and help you out. Sorry I'm not very useful here.

I said a prayer for your family, Carol. That's a lot to deal with at once.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 5

With non-buttercream fillings I put a thin layer of the buttercream on the cake so the filling does not make the cake soggy. I've never frozen it this way but I bet a non-creamy filling would work. Good luck. *bump*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%