Ideas?!?? Dummy For Hotel's Wedding Show Room...

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm by mom2spunkynbug

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:09am
post #1 of 4

I have the opportunity to make a cake dummy for a local hotel's NEW wedding room. I just don't know where to start!!!?

I passed by it today and you can see the wedding room from the road! And it's pretty much almost done! Except the cake is missing!!! LOL icon_cry.gif

I was going to do something like Fran's (one of the most popular cakes here on CC) - then I was thinking maybe it's too playful for what I'm going for. Then I was thinking maybe something like KarenMichi's design, but not topsy turvy - but then I thought maybe that's too much white.

The room is made up of mostly black & white things with hints of pink here and there. There was tiny polka-dot (black & white) on something. The floor is an ugly dark maroon color.

Then I was thinking maybe the "typical" cherry blossom cake? Or is that too average?? I've never made one of those. But then, would that really fit the room?

I'm thinking something with a little bit of color (maybe light pinks and/or light greens) with mostly black and/or white. I'm just going to use a glass cake stand so I'll use a 1/2" board under the cake. I'll have to make my own topper too as I don't have any & there's no time or money to order one now.

Anyway, I just found out about this the other week and have been so busy!! I've got to pick a design and get started!

If anyone can show me any they think fit into this category, or give me a link I'd greatly appreciate it!!

3 replies
mom2spunkynbug Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:06am
post #2 of 4

Ok, well I may be talking to myself at this point, lol, but...

I decided what cake I would like to do. It's from www.thecakegirls.com Click on "our cakes" then "wedding cakes" then it's on the 2nd page of the gallery, right in the middle. It's mostly yellow with swirly things everywhere. I saw on Ace of Cakes they made a cake something like this once. I'm not sure what it's called.

I'm thinking of doing a very pale pink instead of yellow, the same white swirlies, and black lines instead of brown, and white butterflies.

Now - how do you suppose they cut those swirly thingies? Just freehand out of fondant??

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:41am
post #3 of 4

I'm sure they cut them freehand, probably with a pizza wheel or something similar. The yellow, rounded swirly things that were on the sides of the other ones were probably done with an extruder.

The only thing about pink is that pink fondant likes to fade in fluorescent light, so that might be something to consider...it doesn't always do it, at least for me, but I haven't been able to predict when it would fade and when it wouldn't.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the feedback! You know that has actually happened to me once, but I just thought ot was the color I bought.

Hmm...maybe I should go back to the all white idea?? White with accents of pearl dust?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%