Your Favourite & Must Have Cake Decorating Book

Decorating By zarinajan Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 1:35am by lflowermoon

zarinajan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zarinajan Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 13

Which Cake decorating Book is your favourite?? I've heard many review about "The Whimsical Bakehouse: Fun-To-Make Cakes That Taste as Good as They Look!" is a must have book,what do u think?

12 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:52am
post #2 of 13

I'm always looking at the lovely glossy cake books in the bookshop and my eyes flick over the price and I always think 'Naah, I can find out how to do that on CC' ! icon_biggrin.gif

isista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isista Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:00am
post #3 of 13

For starting i recommend
the home guide to cake decorating-jane price
cakes to dream on - collette peters (this is a master class-more experience required)
by the way you can search a lot of books contents from
www.books.google.com

just write the books name or author's name...
not every page of the books are included but you can see many techniques and recipes .. it gives an idea whether to buy it or not...

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 13

I love Toba Garrett's The Well Decorated Cake. Peggy Porschen's Pretty Pretty Party Cakes definetly lives up to its title.

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 13

double post

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 13

I think the series of three International School of S u g a r craft books are the best out there. Each section has good instructions with photos and cover a wide range of subjects:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1853917486/?tag=cakecentral-20

I have so many other books that are just pretty pictures with drawings. As Shola said, I can find the same info on the web so I'm planning on putting 20+ books out on eBay. I'm sticking to only collecting the books which concentrate on techniques I'm interested in learning. The one's I like so far are:

- Lambeth Method of Cake Decoration
- the Sug a r c r a ft skills series of books: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=sugarcraft+skills+series
- Sugar Artistik by Louise and Othmar Fassbind (just got this one for pulling/blowing sugar and its wonderful!)

The books you choose really should depend on what you are trying to learn.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 13

I second Toba Garrett's The Well Decorated Cake.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 13

snowshoe-your amazon link took me to a weird search result that had nothing to do with cakes? I just wanted to let you know in case you entered the wrong link....

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 13

I REALLY like anything Debbie Brown. Great directions. I am still a newbie and Collette Peters is way to hard for me and the directions are not what I need.

Lindy Smith's books are good also.

I have added a little over 20 books to my library so far. Maisey Parrish is the next one I am going to buy. Her characters are awesome.

Have have two of Toba Garretts books and they just seem boring and more old school, with a lot of piping.

Once you cake make the cake part the decorating is all I want not another book that gives me recipes when I want decorating technique.

Working on a Sugarcraft flower book right now since I got all the cutters at the shopping day at ICES convention today.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 13

I second the Debbie Bornw books, I have an impressive collection of them now and shudder to think what they have cost me, probably more than I've made making cakes out of them! I also like Lindy Smith and Colette Peters, although the CP books are quite hard to get here and when you do they cost the earth.
I also have a lot of mary Ford books. Although they are quite dated now she does amazing piping and I refer to them lots when I am doing a simple cake which I want to spruce up with piped edges.

lflowermoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lflowermoon Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #12 of 13

Mich Turner
Spectacular Cakes: Special Occasion Cakes for any Celebration by Mich Turner

lflowermoon Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #13 of 13

Confetti Cakes, by Elisa Strauss
Wedding Cakes by Martha Stewart
Glamour Cakes by Eric Lanlard