How Long Will Royal Icing Keep For?

Decorating By Bridy Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm by jessieb578

Bridy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridy Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 13

My duaghters b-day isn't until August. I want to make some cupcakes that require royal icing flowers placed on them.
If I use the Wilton Mirangue Powder to make the icing how far in advance can I make the flowers?

Can I freeze them?

Thanx!

12 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 13

Once royal icing dries the only enemy it has is moisture. Keep the flowers in an airtight container and you'll be golden

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 13

Ditto Pink Ziab. I've got roses hanging around still that I made over 3 years ago. I keep them tightly sealed in containers. The suckers will pretty much last forever once they're dry.

Bridy Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #4 of 13

thank you so much for the replies!
I think I will try making them soon then just so I can go to plan B if this doesn't work.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #5 of 13

I thought they were supposed to be loosely covered- not airtight. What have I got Royal confused with? I have a lot of flowers that I made about 2 months ago in covered containers that are not "sealed". Will they be OK?

Bridy Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:05am
post #6 of 13

And these are for eating right?
I was going to use the wilton royal icing with the powder meringue

missmeg Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 13

Yes you an eat RI flowers, but I don't recommend full roses - they might take a filling out.

Kids LOVE eating the full-sugar RI roses.

Bridy - yes, it's the RI recipe with meringue powder.

Bridy Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 13

Great! thank you again for replying to me.
I will keep that in mind and make more small flowers then big ones.

thank you!

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 13

I'm thinking no, but just in case someone has another genius answer - can you put royal icing decorations in the refrigerator? I'm thinking it will break apart when it comes to room temp, but thought I'd ask!

missmeg Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 13

There's really no need to put RI decorations in the fridge. They will dry and harden on their own in the air.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrmom

I thought they were supposed to be loosely covered- not airtight. What have I got Royal confused with? I have a lot of flowers that I made about 2 months ago in covered containers that are not "sealed". Will they be OK?

That's the way I have always stored them.. In pizza boxes is the easiest; they are just the right height, and food safe, and can be stacked easily for organization..(you can purchase new/unsed pizza boxes icon_smile.gif ) I have some RI decorations that I have had for years.. literally. I use them on dummy cakes when they get that old icon_smile.gif , but they are still good... They do need to breathe, imho, as moisture can build up in the airtight containers. They don't like light either, as the color can fade.. hth

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 13

I have some old decorations hanging around in a little bowl that are just as fresh as the day they were made...something like last October...but I wouldn't use them, my daughter sneaks into them every once in a while (when she thinks I am not peeking!) hehe

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 13

I know that there's no need to put them in the refrigerator, but I'm thinking if you use them on a decorated cake that needs to be refrigerated - is that ok?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%