Sales Rep Ate Baby Shower Cake.

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 1:34am by nutcase68

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:41am
post #61 of 118

Good for you....what a nice & understanding guy to make it up to you like that! Chances are this wasn't the first time the rep guy made a donkey's butt of himself with a client.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:16pm
post #62 of 118

Sounds like his boss tried to make amends. Good on him. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm
post #63 of 118

Good!!! I hope the Michaels card had enough $$$ to buy the stuff you always wanted to buy but never had the cash to, I actually spend more time in the others aisle rather than the cake decorating aisle to find stuff to help me decorate my cakes, you can spend hours in the wood carving & clay section alone!

SO happy it worked out, now I feel bad for the Boss! He loss a client because of an idot employee!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #64 of 118

That is amazing! I know there are people out there who behave like this (I've met them) but it never fails to astound me! I don't care how old he is, if my kid ever does anything like that and I hear about it he's gettin' a whoopin!!!!

I'm sorry that guy did that to you. icon_sad.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #65 of 118

At least his boss sounds like a reasonable and professional guy. Would have been nice if you got the guy fired though. Have fun spending your gift card!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #66 of 118

OMG .. My image is a rude, piggish, slop of a man.........Cake all over his face, .no common regard for others..... and you said he burbed?

Makes you want to shove the rest of the cake in his face....... here...enjoy the rest!!!!!

Where on earth do they come from......"Bill him....Danno"

Sorry that happened to you.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #67 of 118

Bundtdiva,

I'm glad his boss is a lot more civilized than that "savage and uncivilized" sales rep...The amount of the cake should be taken out of his pay check.

Also, you have nothing to apologize for. thumbs_up.gif You did not cross any bounderies with your statement. We cannot please and make everyone happy in this world with how we express our selves.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #68 of 118

wow, I would have to irate!! He sho definatly have to pay and his boss kow how rude he is!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:31pm
post #69 of 118

Everying worked out. I baked the same baby block cake and gave it to my coworker to enjoy with her family. The sales rep was terminated from his job.

The Michael's gift certificate covered about $15 more than how much I spent.

Well, I hope to see some of you at cake camp in a few weeks. I can't hear but I will have an ASL interpreter with me.

fondantgrl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #70 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

Everying worked out. I baked the same baby block cake and gave it to my coworker to enjoy with her family.
Quote:
Quote:

The sales rep was terminated from his job.

Well, I hope to see some of you at cake camp in a few weeks. I can't hear but I will have an ASL interpreter with me.

WOW !! thats is even better !!!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #71 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

Everying worked out. I baked the same baby block cake and gave it to my coworker to enjoy with her family. The sales rep was terminated from his job.

Hey Diva, awesome to hear! I just wanted to chime in to ask: Is your company thinking about working with this other company again? It sounds like his boss did everything he could think of to make ammends for this idiot he hired then fired. It struck me as great business sense and the morally right thing to make reparations. Kudos to this guy! Anyway, just curious....

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:30pm
post #72 of 118

Whoohoo! Thank goodness there are people who still care about doing what's right.

ainsleyandmatthewmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ainsleyandmatthewmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:39pm
post #73 of 118

Whew! Glad it worked out well in the end! I've been sitting here just shaking my head, totally incredulous that something like that actually happened NOT on t.v. Amazing. I don't know why I still get amazed by human behavior, but I do. LOL

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm
post #74 of 118

I'm glad it worked out as well. The guy's boss was obviously raised right even though his former employee was not or if he was, he forgot the lesson. But this stuff happens all the time. When I used to teach there was a guy in the Social Studies department who would troll around the different teacher workrooms looking for something to "snack on". He also got fired and shock of shocks his "behavior" in the workrooms was one of the points mentioned in his contract not being renewed.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #75 of 118

So glad things worked out. This story was just unbelievable! I seriously would've "caught a case" after I beat the life (and the cake) out of that guy!

And I'm sorry, he WAS a FAT PIG! The poster who wrote about the whole weight issue...I feel you, but at the same time don't think that the issue needed to be diverted to a sensitive topic that may speak more of other people's own insecurities. I didn't hear any mention about him being a human being and not an animal (pig)...only the weight was brought up. Although some (like Indydebi) has a wonderful sense of humor about it either way. Bottom line, the guy was a jerk, he happened to be fat, and so literally or figuratively...he was a fat pig.

You just don't do things like that!

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #76 of 118

I guess he is really hungry now.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #77 of 118

I think it sucks he lost his job. Maybe someone should have confronted him and asked him to pay you for the cost of the cake and a replacement for another cake. I agree it was gross and wrong. With todays economy it can be hard to find good paying jobs. Is a cake so important to ruin ones life?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #78 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

I think it sucks he lost his job. Maybe someone should have confronted him and asked him to pay you for the cost of the cake and a replacement for another cake. I agree it was gross and wrong. With todays economy it can be hard to find good paying jobs. Is a cake so important to ruin ones life?

I missed the post where it said he was fired. icon_surprised.gif

But this was not about cake. I've worked most of my adult life in corporate america, in management positions and I'm telling you, any of my sales reps that behaved in that manner may have risked his job with my company, too. The man is not just selling "stuff".... he is representing a business and that business's image and integrity. The thought that passes thru many minds is "If they hire this kind of guy, then what kind of company am I dealing with?"

There are repercussions for your actions and if people would think about that FIRST these days, instead of doing anything they want then whining about "can't we all just get along?", then I think the world would be a much better place to start with.

I've seen too many kids who grew up into no-accounts simply because they never learned this simple lesson about how the decisions you make affect what you do and how people react to you. If mommy and daddy would let Jr. fall on his face a few times, then he'd figure out how to walk a straight line like a civilized person.

Sorry for the rant .... I'm just tired of the "nothing is anybody's fault" thing and we're all just suppose to roll over and pretend everyone is perfect. I say we need to tell the emperor he has no clothes! And julzs71, I understand that's a little detached from what you said, but I just got on a roll! icon_mad.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #79 of 118
Quote:
Quote:

The poster who wrote about the whole weight issue...I feel you, but at the same time don't think that the issue needed to be diverted to a sensitive topic that may speak more of other people's own insecurities.

I apologize if you misunderstood why I brought up the weight issue. It was my intention to delicately remind those who mean well that it's prejudicial and distasteful to judge a person by his body mass.

Allow me to edit the original post to illustrate my point:

" It is was so disgusting to see this MEXICAN guy (He must have been born in Juarez) shoveling food in his mouth and burping on top of that."

It's still socially acceptable to make fun of people who are overweight and I happen to think it's wrong. It has nothing to do with anyone's insecurities. It's just common courtesy.

BTW, I'm not fat and never have been. But I'd be pretty pissed if people assumed my behavior was motivated by my weight. If the PIG in question was skinny, that wouldn't have been mentioned.

Sorry for derailing the thread. But if I got one person to think twice before impugning another's character by bringing up their weight (or height or shoe size), then my work here is done. thumbs_up.gif Please carry on.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #80 of 118

Hey guys! First off, let's not put down the poster. When I am upset I say things like this all the time and I am SO not racist or sexist. In fact I run around town with my "fight racism" sticker Anti-defamation league stickers on my bumper.

Look, when you are mad, you just say what comes to your mind and she did apologize for her wordage. She was just upset. And human.

But, as for whaty Indydebi said, I want to support this. This sales rep is representing his company and their image and should not behave in the way he did. I mean... he lost the account because of this action! That enough speaks for itself!

There are 100 people out there looking competatively for the same 1 job in this market. The manager knows he does not need to put up with bad behavior on behalf of his company. I would have let him go too and done the same thing! (reparations and apologies)

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #81 of 118

One summer my mother was visiting from out of town, so my son and I took her to a bakery planning to by a delicious treat for dessert that night. There in the bakery by the counter stood a lovely glass case of delicious looking confections, a shiny glass door for us to open and retrieve the treat. As my mother and I tried to come to the very difficult decision opening the door, my son chose for us, by sticking his finger in a lovely chocolate whipped cream/ chocolate meringue torte of some kind. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Oh the humiliation...

He was 2...

I made sure he new his mistake right then, right there. I admit we laughed, but lesson learned keep tots fingers tucked in and hope when they grow up they know better. I know my son does.

I don't think the man's boss had any choice, apearently he wasn't aware of what his employee was capable of... Now he knows and I'm sure is hoping he isn't going to hear from any other disgruntled client. Who knows with what this guy did, sticking his hand in your cake, that is appalling, it sounds like he isn't of a right mind...

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #82 of 118

HOW RUDE!!!!! I can't get over the fact that he just reached his hand and took out a chunk of cake! And, basically your company is his client, you should never do something like that to anyone, let alone a client that you might depend on business for? What an idiot! I say good riddance that he lost his job. If I had someone working for me, representing my business, acting so rude with my clients, I would fire them too, because if they would do that, who knows what else poor judgement they would have and do!

(He could have at least asked, hey are you going to be cutting the cake soon? It looks so good, I would love to have a piece..which inviting himself would have been slightly rude, but at least not just downright tacky!)

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #83 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbax

..... that is appalling, it sounds like he isn't of a right mind...

I was thinking the same thing. He needs neuro and psych workups if he's so disinhibited he does something like that. Sometimes persons with some sort of neuro damage or degeneration will be unable to 'hold back' impulses.

BTW, even *if* something's wrong with him, the OP and the vendor's supervisor/company behaved appropriately in firing him. The cause of the behavior doesn't matter.

To the OP: Glad everything worked out, and I'm jealous of your plans for cake camp. Have a great time there!

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #84 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbax

..... that is appalling, it sounds like he isn't of a right mind...

I was thinking the same thing. He needs neuro and psych workups if he's so disinhibited he does something like that. Sometimes persons with some sort of neuro damage or degeneration will be unable to 'hold back' impulses.

BTW, even *if* something's wrong with him, the OP and the vendor's supervisor/company behaved appropriately in firing him. The cause of the behavior doesn't matter.

ITA hopefully, if his employer was aware of anything of that nature, he would have contacted or recommended some type of help...
I am sure he was embarrassed by his employees behavior.

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #85 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

I missed the post where it said he was fired. icon_surprised.gif

But this was not about cake. I've worked most of my adult life in corporate america, in management positions and I'm telling you, any of my sales reps that behaved in that manner may have risked his job with my company, too. The man is not just selling "stuff".... he is representing a business and that business's image and integrity. The thought that passes thru many minds is "If they hire this kind of guy, then what kind of company am I dealing with?"

There are repercussions for your actions and if people would think about that FIRST these days, instead of doing anything they want then whining about "can't we all just get along?", then I think the world would be a much better place to start with.

I've seen too many kids who grew up into no-accounts simply because they never learned this simple lesson about how the decisions you make affect what you do and how people react to you. If mommy and daddy would let Jr. fall on his face a few times, then he'd figure out how to walk a straight line like a civilized person.

Sorry for the rant .... I'm just tired of the "nothing is anybody's fault" thing and we're all just suppose to roll over and pretend everyone is perfect. I say we need to tell the emperor he has no clothes! And julzs71, I understand that's a little detached from what you said, but I just got on a roll! icon_mad.gif

Amen!

I, for one, am GLAD he was disciplined. That was NO way to behave in ANY setting, much less a professional one.

Something similar happened to me, and I for one HOPE the sales rep was fired- I was about 8 months pregnant, and bringing in drinks for the doctors office I worked in, and the drinks "sweat" onto my shirt- making it look like I was, ahem, "leaking". One of the two male reps (in front of some of the nurses I worked with) called it to attention saying "Wow, you got a baby at home that needs feeding?" (Or something crude along those lines about my breasts..)

I was mortified and walked out. The main doctor I worked for called the company and let them know that they were no longer welcome.

I NEVER received an apology.

And after that, one of the other doctors stated that she didn't understand why the main doctor told them to not come back, that she thought they were funny guys....

Hmmmph. So sorry that I felt harassed. icon_razz.gif

fondantgrl Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #86 of 118

Finding another job is his problem...
He should have thought of that before he did what he did.. he is an adult for God's sake !! thumbsdown.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:06am
post #87 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

Finding another job is his problem...
He should have thought of that before he did what he did.. he is an adult for God's sake !! thumbsdown.gif

That is absolutely right.

Bundtdiva, I'm glad it worked out for you. Don't you just love CC? We have our little disagreements from time to time, but we all pull together when someone has been a bad, bad boy! icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #88 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliwis000

He really just grabbed it with his hands?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!? REALLY? What in the world!!! I cannot even imagin a 8 year old doing this much less a full grown man!! I would have gone out to his car and smashed his front window, then tell him that I was angry and just needed to hit something.

Send him a bill.

That's just disgusting, never mind not being polite and asking first!

Even my not quite 2 year old son used a spoon when he raided his leftover b-day cake that was on the counter!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #89 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliwis000

He really just grabbed it with his hands?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!? REALLY? What in the world!!! I cannot even imagin a 8 year old doing this much less a full grown man!! I would have gone out to his car and smashed his front window, then tell him that I was angry and just needed to hit something.

Send him a bill.

That's just disgusting caveman like manners! With manners like that who would expect him to ask first?????

Even my not quite 2 year old son used a spoon when he raided his leftover b-day cake that was on the counter!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:34am
post #90 of 118

I' late to the party on this and I just have a couple things to day

1) I hope he washed after his last trip to the bathroom

2) I hope he didn't scratch his rear or readjust himself prior to touching that cake.

I don't know if I should laugh, cry or throw up.

As for him loosing his job... how embarrassing to have to go home look the wife in the eye and say "I was fired for sticking my bare hand into a baby shower cake because it looked good and ate it"

I can hear his wife "what now!? This is your 6th job in 7 months!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%