Question About Price

Business By Penny7271 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 12:58am by Penny7271

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 3

I am certain that you have all answered this type of question a million times, but I am pressed for time...

I am not a licensed baker in a licensed kitchen. I have only baked for my family and friends. One of my friends would like me to bake a cake and cupcakes to bring to her sister's son's birthday party. I would like to do. But they definitely want to pay me.

I have thought about it a lot...and with money being what it is today, I am going to accept. But I am not certain what to charge.

The cake will be for about 20 people. If she would like fondant, I will make a 2 tier take (top tier 2X6", bottom tier 2X8"). If she would like buttercream, I will make a 10" cake (3 layers). I am making that call based on my ability...I can't stack a buttercream covered cake very well, but I am ok with fondant. Either way, I was thinking about $35.

She would also like a dozen cupcakes. I was thinking about $24 for them ($2 per cupcake)

My friend suggested that I charge what the local bakery would charge - that's where I am getting these numbers...but they've been in business for like 60 years. And I am just a Mom who has been decorating "seriously" since October.

Thanks for any input you might be able to share! I really appreciate it.

2 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 3

A 2 tier cake like you described, ordered from me, would cost my client $80.50. The cupcakes would be at minimum $2.50 each.

I don't do 3 layer cakes, my recipes are all 2 layers, so the extra layer would add cost. For a 2 layer 10 in cake in buttercream it would run my client $75.

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for the information, Karateka! I really appreciate it! Your cakes are beautiful!

Earier today I told her I would do a dozen cupcakes and a 2 layer 10" cake for $60. I didn't know really what to say. I am not really looking to make money, but at least I will be getting back something for my ingredients. And it will be fun.

Thanks again for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%