Got A New Airbrush...now Got A Few ???'s :)

Decorating By BCo Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm by BCo

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 3

Ok so I finally bought an airbrush - here are my questions:

I need to cover the entire 1st tier using a dark color - should I do this in several lighter coats and build up to the desired shade? (like you would if you were spraypainting?) Also if I put it in the refridgerator when I take it out and it starts to come to room temp will the color run from the condensation? I am using fondant accents on the buttercream, will the colors bleed onto there? Also how long does it take the airbrush color to dry, how long do I need to wait to apply the fondant pieces on top?

It's extremely hot and humid here and I want to be able to refridgerate the cakes before I transport them. I just don't want them to look like a big sweaty messicon_smile.gif

thanks guys - I'm a nervous wreck about this one!!

Brandie

2 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 3

I have not run into issues with airbrush colors bleeding when taken out of the fridge. I imagine if condensation build up so heavily that water droplets formed, then yes, it would run. The color takes some time to dry-especially if its humid. If you've got AC you should be okay, though.

ETA: Yes, go with a few lighter layers of airbrush color rather than one super heavy one because it will start to drip.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much - I'll cross my fingers and give it a go!! I have AC so it shouldn't be a problem while I'm decorating inside - hopefully it won't effect it when it's being delivered!

thank you again for your help!
Brandie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%