Help Please!!! Idea For "under The Big Top"

Decorating By Sweetpeazmom Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm by Sweetpeazmom

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:21am
post #1 of 26

It's for a customer for her twin girls 1st B-Day. They are throwing a huge party---pony rides, clowns, magician---the works. They sent out 100 invitations (expecting about 75). She has no clue as to what she wants--- only that she doesn't want a sheet cake BUT that she DOES want it to be Big, BEAUTIFUL, and Creative. The colors are Red and Yellow. I don't know whether to go with the Kids Circus theme or a more "Beautiful" tiered cake. Either way--- I am at a loss for ideas. Please Help!!! I told her I would get back to her in a couple of days with some sketches and a price. All opinions and ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

25 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #2 of 26

What if you just did a really big circus tent? And you could do the 2 girls sitting out front eating cotton candy or something like that. The tent would be striped red and yellow. I think that would definitely make a statement and not be too hard to achieve at the same time....Hope this helps or at least gets the juices flowing...LOL!! icon_lol.gif

Sweetpeazmom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:31am
post #3 of 26

Thanks Michelle. I didn't even think about doing the girls as part of the cake. That's a great idea. Thanks. Anyone else?????

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:57am
post #4 of 26

I just did a big 1st birthday party with 200 people a few weeks ago. Here is the cake I did. Hope it helps.
Trance
LL

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:40am
post #5 of 26

Have you seen the fantabulous cake by yourstruelytx in the gallery:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-475783.html
I love this cake!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:04am
post #6 of 26

I did an actual revolving carousel for the Fair last year....The top is lighted with battery operated colored lights...... You could use ANY colors..... it is in my photos if you care to look........ it is pretty easy, but looks hard..... if you have questions, just e-mail or PM me.......

Sweetpeazmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:05am
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance

I just did a big 1st birthday party with 200 people a few weeks ago. Here is the cake I did. Hope it helps.
Trance

Love your cake. If you don't mind my asking, what size cakes did you use and are all the decorations done in fondant? Thanks

Sweetpeazmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilers

Have you seen the fantabulous cake by yourstruelytx in the gallery:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-475783.html
I love this cake!

Which one is it? The link took me to her profile page. Is it the Circus Elephant? I think he is cute.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:15am
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance

Trance

Cute cute cute!!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Great job and great idea!!! icon_wink.gif

Sweetpeazmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #10 of 26

WOW Grama. Your Carousel is beautiful. Are those the little battery rice lights?

grama_j Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:50am
post #11 of 26

Thanks, Sheila..... you could use rice lights, but these were the next size up..... I taped the battery pack to the top of the carousel so I could easily reach it. The base of the whole thing was the Wilton fountain set up....... that is why the outside "poles" are clear.....Now the turn table was more difficult. You have to cut out the cake, and the turntable fits in there. The brownie floor with the horses (I will use cookies or molded candy next time instead of the plastic..) has to be put on while the darned thing is moving because the on- off switch was on the bottom of the turn table....... There HAS to be a better way, I just couldn't find it....... I will say, the 2 AA batteries lasted all three days of the Fair ! AMAZING !!! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif So I KNOW it would last for the entire birthday party without stopping...... I used it for the graduation cake that rotated the graduation girl this year....... people are really surprised by it ....

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 26

What about this one from Mac'smom (sp?). I just fell in love with this one.

grama_j Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 26

Oh my gosh ! Isnb't that ADORABLE ?! The colors would be right too !

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 26

JoJo's circus is a very popular kids cartoon and very cute or I was just at a "Deals" dollar store and they have all kinds of circus toy stuff. I thought they would be perfect for a circus party. It was a ringmaster and cages with animals and all kinds of stuff. You could also do a circus train cake. Or make a yellow and red tent out of fabric to go over your cake, Or make a giant tiered cake look like a clown with the ball pan for the head. That' all I got!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 26
Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 26

Sweetpeazmom.... I made a circus themed cake for a Wedding not too long ago... there's a picture in my gallery. I used the wonder mold to make the top tent... it was fairly easy.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 26

[quote="andromedaslove"]What about this one from Mac'smom (sp?). I just fell in love with this one.

Wow!!! This is Adorable. Don't know if I want to tackle a Topsy Turvy for this one though. I've never tried those before.

Sweetpeazmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #19 of 26

Very nice Pama. Where did you find the animal figurines?

Sweetpeazmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:41pm
post #20 of 26

I have never really used fondant that much. Only on the Shuttle Cake and a few accent pieces. I've never made figurines out of it. Are they hard to do?? and how long does it take for them to dry?

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #21 of 26

Trance, I'm glad you posted yours. As soon as I saw the topic I thought of your cake! icon_smile.gif

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:04pm
post #22 of 26

I enjoy making fondant figures! (Not claiming to be an expert by any means though.) There are some great how to articles on here, and I found the clay and model magic books very helpful for animals when doing my farm cake. Just play around with it and have fun.

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #23 of 26

The bride actually supplied the figurines. But I know if you have a Michaels near you they carry a lot of the animal figurines similar to those. HTH.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareBear3891 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareBear3891 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #25 of 26

For the "Under the Big Top/Circus" party that we had a few years ago. I did a ball cake with the different colors, a popcorn bag cake w/real popcorn spilling out and a Jolly the Clown cake which I found instructions for on the Internet. I have included the link for the Clown cake. HTH

http://www.whitbyarea.com/cakes/

Sweetpeazmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #26 of 26

Thanks to all of you for all of your help. I came up with 2 nice sketches for her since she clearly didn't have a clue as to what she wanted. Used a few ideas from several different cake and came up with something. Thanks to all of you for your inspirations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%