Iloveweddings Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hi. How do I make a Cattleya Orchid? I want it to look good, like this one:
LL

6 replies
Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:56am
post #2 of 7

I would like to know too, anyone? I've been trying to do orchids forever!! Thanks

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:50am
post #3 of 7

Well....you pretty much need the cutters specifically for a cattleya and orchid veiners. Having an orchid throat former makes it easier to get the open and curve shape. I don't know where to get these because the ones that I have were made for a lady from South Africa and I don't think she can get them anymore. Making the center (anther) is not hard, but it needs to be made first and allowed to dry.

If you can find a book on orchids, it will probably have all of the parts totally broken down so that you can see how they should look from several angles.

The coloring appears to have been done after the petals and sepals have dried. These are almost always wired. The lip (throat) is attached to the anther (center) and the petals and sepals are taped to that.

The dots are probably powdered food color mixed with some sort of alcohol like vodka. Airbrush colors work really well for this. To keep the dots small, use either a very, very small paint brush or a toothpick that has barely been dipped in the color.

The cattleya does not have a calyx. It attaches directly to the stem.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Michele

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:56am
post #4 of 7

the jem cutters are good and include a column press for the centre. they com from S Africa, I believe they ship, but many online stores may carry them too. you'll need a veiner too, either and orchid one or you can use a poppy veiner too.

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 7

That's a cymbidium orchid. You can find instructions for these in both Scott Clark Woolley's book and orchid dvd, and Alan Dunn's book on orchids.

The one pictured looks like one you would get using Scott's cutters and veiners, and probably his technique.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 7

I bought the cutters from Global and made my own mold for the center by taking apart a plastic cymbidium and modeling plastique. I used a veiner from another orchid I had that I purchased from Scott Clark Woolley and used the templates out of Alan Dunn's orchid book. In his book he suggests making your own mold using a real cymbidium but I couldnt find one locally. So thats why I decided to use the fake orchid instead.
I think mine came out pretty realistic. Oh, and just a note, when you buy the cutters from Scott, they do not come with directions. You have to purchase a very expensive dvd he sells to get it. But he gives you a dvd with a "preview" of what the video intales so you can see a little bit how its done.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 7

. . . this may be of some help to someone (not exactly what you are looking for ?) . . . http://www.earlcraftncake.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=623

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%