Coloring My Own Dragees

Decorating By blairdotcom Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm by ski

blairdotcom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blairdotcom Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 9

I am attempting to make my own silver, gold, and copper dragee's with luster dust. I bought pre-made white dragees, look like little tiny pearls. I have read that you're supposed to use some sort of grain alcohol and mix it with the dust
How much dust do i put with the alcohol and how many peals do i put in?

8 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 9

you would use vodka if you wanted a shiny finish to the pearls. Use just plain dusts if you want a satiny finish

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 9

Kind of off topic, but I colored my own sprinkles the other day too. Had every color except purple and of course that is what I needed. Dropped in some gel into a bag and shook like crazy. Worked perfectly and boy was my 11yo son impressed. icon_smile.gif

blairdotcom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blairdotcom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 9

would you be able to just toss in some pearls into a bag with some lster dust and shake to get the same coverage? it really doesnt matter how the color gets on there, just as long as it does and it stays.

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 9

Hey I'm going to be coloring pearls for a wedding cake this fall an my mom found these instructions for me, I have yet to try them myeslf but I think it looks like it should work. Hope this helps!
~Truly

"These are antique white beads and you have the option to color them.
It is easy to tint them. Just place them in a container that can be sealed. Add the DUST and place the lid on the container. Shake to coat. Save left over dust for another time. First color them using petal dust, then Super Pearl or luster dust for a sheen. Most people use Super Pearl Dust.
Or just use the Super Pearl Dust alone if you want to have them sparkle.
If you want them very pearl-looking, you can add the Super Pearl Dust to some lemon extract, shake and add the pearls, dip them out and dry them. They will dry in a jiffy. "

trulyscrumptious Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 9

Hey I'm going to be coloring pearls for a wedding cake this fall an my mom found these instructions for me, I have yet to try them myeslf but I think it looks like it should work. Hope this helps!
~Truly

"These are antique white beads and you have the option to color them.
It is easy to tint them. Just place them in a container that can be sealed. Add the DUST and place the lid on the container. Shake to coat. Save left over dust for another time. First color them using petal dust, then Super Pearl or luster dust for a sheen. Most people use Super Pearl Dust.
Or just use the Super Pearl Dust alone if you want to have them sparkle.
If you want them very pearl-looking, you can add the Super Pearl Dust to some lemon extract, shake and add the pearls, dip them out and dry them. They will dry in a jiffy. "

trulyscrumptious Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 9

Hmmm... not all of that posted- here is the rest:

If you want them very pearl-looking, you can add the Super Pearl Dust to some lemon extract, shake and add the pearls, dip them out and dry them. They will dry in a jiffy.

trulyscrumptious Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 9

Grrr! Sorry about this! (Don't know why it's being funny). The rest of it is:
...to some lemon extract, shake and add the pearls, dip them out and let them dry. They will dry in a jiffy!

~Truly

Edit for SP

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 9

we used old baby food jars to tint pearls. Lusterdust , shake and you're done. If you want them a darker color , shake some more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%